Author Topic: May Dorothy Collins, born in 1900  (Read 5578 times)

Offline andarah1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: May Dorothy Collins, born in 1900
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 02:39 GMT (UK) »
The two older girls' birth in Wellington coincides with what we have on May Dorothy Collins' birth certificate in between their births. I definitely think this is the same family. I just have too many variables to nail down the exact relationship between May Dorothy Collins and Lisa Eccles (nee Collins).

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, the May Dorothy Collins b 1899 West Ham looks to be a daughter of a completely different family in West Ham 1901 census RG13/1592/11/13

Oddly as May Dorothy was apparently born in Wallington 17th August 1900 there is a birth September qtr 1900 Croydon 2a  333 of a Female Eccles,  so is  this possibly Kathleen or May Dorothy?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 10:43 GMT (UK) »
The other children living as boarders in 1901  seem to be with lower class random families, perhaps May was given to a family member (Albert ) and they kept her? What occupation does,she give for Albert on her marriage cert?

I think the marriage cert. For Lisa and Francis could be worth the money, it would give her fathers name and occupation, also the birth cert of Cyrus would be interesting.

Francis was an author and wrote a book on A century of French Poets, they may have lead a bohemiem type of lifestyle.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,  but if the birth certificate of May Dorothy is as stated 17th August 1900 Wallington ( where and how that record is depicted on Freebmd I do not know) then the Kathleen with Lisa/Lizzie in 1911 cannot be the Female Birth in September qtr 1900 Croydon?
Keyboard
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andarah1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 13:46 GMT (UK) »
In 1901, Yvonne and Cyrus are with their mother and Kathleen is with a next door neighbour in Wallington where three of the kids were born. The father was at another residence in London. He was a lawyer at that time. His parents were quite wealthy.

In 1911 he's listed an author and she has 4 daughters with her. The census says she's had 6 children and 5 are still living. If she has 4 living with her, Cyrus was in a school elsewhere and I know May survived (and in a school near Croyden), then I account for 6 living children. May didn't see her family again after entering the orphanage. Maybe the mother considered her dead?? She was financially supported there by a family member though.

I found Kathleen's birth in Nov 1899. It seems very tight to have had May on Aug 17, 1900.

If May's birth certificate says 'Collins', wouldn't the registration say Collins? Is the birth certificate the paper produced after registration?? I have searched for Eccles, but I keep reminding myself that it must be Collins. Am I wrong?

Thank you for your help on this! I agree that the Francis/Lisa wedding might be worth ordering. I also think the Cyrus birth might be worth ordering since he was registered as a Collins. This research is for my cousin. May is her g grandmother and May's daughter is following this with delight :) My cousin is going to order Francis Yvon Eccles' probate in hopes that it says something.

Offline andarah1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 13:55 GMT (UK) »
The 3rd qtr 1900 has a female Collins and a female Eccles in Croydon. That's her. Thanks! I hadn't thought to look her up that way.

I still don't understand her story, but I found her BMD registration, which was one of my issues.

Offline andarah1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Any idea why she wouldn't have been registered with a name? I would have thought those were children who died moments after birth and weren't named. She has a name on her birth certificate.

Offline andarah1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 14:08 GMT (UK) »
I have asked what profession was given for Albert on the marriage cert. My cousin is asking her aunt later today to get a scan/photo of the two certs and send them to her. Once we have that, I'll know more.

Thank you for your help and ideas on this! The family is a tangle!

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 14:40 GMT (UK) »
You can order the birth cert for the two Reg. In Croydon giving fathers name, it would only be supplied if it matched.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk