Author Topic: Harris Family - Barkingside, Essex  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Jamesharrislondonuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • All my research is free to see @ 'ivyonline.co.uk'
    • View Profile
Harris Family - Barkingside, Essex
« on: Wednesday 30 December 15 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm researching the Harris family in Barkingside, Essex and would welcome any information to point me in the right direction. 

I've done quite a bit of research now and have put this online for anyone to look at in the spirit of free collaboration (www.ivyonline.co.uk).

There are lots and lots of Harris' and it is difficult to prove the right connections particularly before 1837 and the 1841 census, although the Parish records are helpful...

I am particularly interested in:

Joseph Harris
Christened 4th February 1787
Married Hannah Stone 13th March 1809
Died 4th May 1864
They had 12 Children
(http://www.ivyonline.co.uk/Sarah%20Ann%20Harris%201813.html)

Joseph Harris
Father of Joseph Harris (above)
Married 'Amy' or 'Amey'
They had 5 children

William Ingram
He is the father of William Ingram Harris (http://www.ivyonline.co.uk/William%20Ingram%20Harris%201813.html).  It appears that he and Sarah Ann Harris produced a child outside of marriage (no evidence of marriage found).  The child William Ingram Harris assumed the maternal surname (Harris) and was brought-up by Joseph and Hannah Harris (his grandparents) after the death of his mother Sarah Ann Harris just 7 to 8 years after his birth.

I am very much interested in any information pertaining to the Harris family genealogy and any related families - the more information the better  :)

Any pointers or assistance would be greatly appreciated, and I am ready to collaborate/help too

Many thanks in advance

James  :)
Trenwith, Harris, Chamberlain, Caldenhove, Hagger, Blackley, Ingram, Stringer, Laver, Orchard, Halverson (more to be added...)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Harris Family - Barkingside, Essex
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 December 15 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Christened 4th February 1878? 1778?

Sorry to be picky.

Your topic has caught my eye because I have two Joseph Harris ancestors, one born 1807 and the other his son 1839 both born in Coggeshall Essex.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 December 15 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - typo  :)

The Joseph Harris I'm focusing on was christened 4th February 1787.

I've modified my original post to correct the error.

This Joseph Harris was from Barkingside.  There is an association (at least with marriage and christenings) with Barkingside and the East End of London which goes back a generation to his father (also Joseph).  In particular, St Botolph's Aldersgate, Mile End and Whitechapel.

I am eager to find local connections with Barkingside and I believe Coggeshall is relatively nearby.  So far i've only found 'Harris' connections with Little Ilford, Great Ilford and Romford.

Happy to share any information I have

Thanks again

James
Trenwith, Harris, Chamberlain, Caldenhove, Hagger, Blackley, Ingram, Stringer, Laver, Orchard, Halverson (more to be added...)

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 December 15 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Joseph christened 1787, whereabouts please?
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 December 15 11:13 GMT (UK) »
 4 February 1787, Barking, Essex, England, to Joseph/Amy :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 December 15 11:38 GMT (UK) »
4 February 1787, Barking, Essex, England, to Joseph/Amy :)

Found it now, St. Margaret, Barking.
On looking at the bap in the parish register, it gives his birth date as January 11th 1787.

Also found the following .

Sarah and Hannah Stone born  17th  December, 1786 and bap. January 7th 1787, daughters of William and Hannah.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 December 15 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that  :)

How are you accessing the Baptism info if you don't mind me asking?

James  :)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 January 16 01:23 GMT (UK) »
I go back three generations of Harris beyond Joseph but Joseph 1807 was the first person in my Harris line to be named Joseph, all my six Harris families,which includes my maternal grandmother Annie Harris, were born in Coggeshall. 

My earliest Harris ancestor is Robert Harris born c1713 and he married Elizabeth Teat alias Holland at Coggeshall in 1738, I have yet to find his birth/baptism but his three known children were  baptised in Coggeshall, they were named Elizabeth, John and William, since there was no child named Robert I suspect there could be more somewhere.

In Coggeshall censuses there are Harris people who's place of birth is given as Woodham Ferrers Essex, I haven't found a link between those and my Harris families.

In my "travels" I have noted Harris people in Gt Waltham Essex, including a Joseph born around the same time as my 1807 Joseph Harris, if memory serves me correct there is a topic on RootsChat about the Gt Waltham Harris people.

What is the name, date or year of baptism for the first child of Joseph and Amy Harris?

Just thinking that if Joseph (Amy's husband) can be tracked down and his parent names compared with mine perhaps a link might be there.  Having said that I am aware that the Harris name being such a common one there might be no blood related link.

If you think I could help with any of my research please let me know.

Regards.

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Findem, really useful information.  Harris is a well used surname which does make finding the right connections difficult work which is the nature of the game.  Your Harris' are reasonably local to mine so there may well be a connection somewhere.  Obviously would welcome as much help as I can get and of course where my research might provide anything to you I would be very happy to share - all my research is free to see on my website www.ivyonline.co.uk.

Once again thanks for getting in touch

James