Author Topic: Looking for information about John Bury, of Rochford, Worcestershire.  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Biffothebear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for information about John Bury, of Rochford, Worcestershire.
« on: Thursday 31 December 15 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information about John Bury, of Rochford, Worcestershire.  1814, he married Ann Price, of Lindridge, at Knighton on Teme.  He died 1850, but I think his age at death --46,--is  incorrect. I believe he was born about 1790, and wasn't being honest with Ann.  She died 1839, age 46. She is not on the 1841 Census--but another Ann Bury--age 85, is with the family( died 1845, age 90)--possible his grandmother, widow of Samuel Bury..  I believe his parents were William and Ann(nee Mason) Bury.  I cannot find this John Bury Baptism---any help much appreciated.  Robert

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Bury Families around Worcester
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 December 15 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

John BERRY Buried 17 Nov 1850, St Michaels, Rochford, Worcestershire
Age 62 (Birth c 1788)

Same Church, all under BURY;
MARY, 19 July 1829, Daug of John, age 14 (birth c 1815)
HANNAH, 13 March 1833, Daug of John, Age 8mths
ANN, Wife of John, 13 Jan 1839, died 10 Jan, Age 46 (Birth c 1793)
ANN, Widow,  15 Feb 1845, died 13 Feb, Age 90 (Birth c 1755)
All above on FreeREG

By ages I would say Ann is Johns Mother.

Not sure why 1841 Census has them in Herefordshire but I am no expert on those sort of boundaries at that time
HO107/430/21/Rochford ( County: Herefordshire; )

Other with access to records I dont may be able to help you more.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Biffothebear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information about John Bury, of Rochford, Worcestershire.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 December 15 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trish1120,  Thank you for that.  I know Freereg entries for this family--and they aren't feally helpful.  I have much more on this Bury family from Family Search. The name varied Berry- Bury-Burry-Bery  Also viewed all the Films at Worcester Record Office. Extracted all Bury information from them.
The complete family was--
John Bury  abt 1790 = Ann Price abt 1794   married March 1814
 Children
 Mary Ann Bury abt 29 Jan 1815 @ Knighton on Teme
William   29.June .1817             @ Knight on Teme
Ann       23 January 1820           @ Knighton on Teme
Elizabeth  25 June 1826  @  Rochford
John         1 Feb   1829   @  Rochford  marr Eliza Yapp of Burford, Shropshire
Hannah    31 July 1832   @  Rochford   bur  13 March 1833
Thomas  9 March 1834   @  Rochford   bur   15  June 1834
Susanna  22 July 1835.  @   Rochford.

Both Rochford and Tenbury were in Herefordshire at that time---border changes for political reasons. Changed back again later.  Knighton was in 3 Counties--Hereford, Shropshire and Worcestershire !
John Bury is my direct line.  The John  ( Bury on FreeBMD) who died 1850--I have not yet found his Baptism--nor any John Bury of ANY parentage in that timespan.   I do not think Ann, widow of Samuel Bury, bur 1845, is John's mother--though I may be wrong! I have found a marriage for a Samuel Bury to  one  Ann Lightwood,  at Lindridge, near Knighton--April 1781--probably the right one. Ann supposedly b 1755.  There is a birth for Ann Lightwood at two places--same date--in Staffordshire.  July 1755---BUT she appears to have married one William Smith!   John was the informant at Registering Ann's  1839 death--stated Husband. When registering her death, why would he not indicate he was the Son--if Ann deceased  1845,  was his mother? Not definitive I know, but.........   
  To confuse the issue, there is another John Berry on the 1871 Census age 62 at Kyre Magna,  -b 1808--at Rochford!  Must carry on searching!!  Happy New Year!  Robert

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 January 16 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Wow, good luck with all of that. Quite a lot for me to work through at this time of night!

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Biffothebear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 January 16 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Have ordered John Bury's Death Certificate (1850)  Should say he's a widower---informant name should tell me something more.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 16 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Excellent idea to order the Cert.

Offline Biffothebear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 January 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,
                Cert arrived--confirms correct JB---death reported by son in law--dau Sarah's husband, but age 61 points to birth year of 1789--perhaps S I L wasn't sure.  Am convinced that this JB was bapt  1787 @ Clifton on Teme--to John and Mary B. (if correct, she ex Mary Hunt.)  This would point to the Ann --died age 90 1845  --being an Aunt--and why at death JB didn't state relationship.
  Bob

Offline Biffothebear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 February 16 17:01 GMT (UK) »
John Bury 1787 Clifton on Teme ruled out! At age 49 he married a 17 yr old girl--and moved to Middlesex.   The search goes on.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 10:20 GMT (UK) »
What a disappointment for you!

Hopefully someone else can help you :)