Author Topic: Birth Query Oakham Surname Adam  (Read 6524 times)

Offline mhfow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Query Oakham Surname Adam
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 January 17 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Can you personally say from those photos and the Art UK image of the portrait whether one of the girls even slightly resembles the sitter (nearly 20 years older)? If you can tell who is the one with the husband, she is the most likely.

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 January 17 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

I would say that it is possible that the painting could be one of the girls, the museum may be able to confirm. I must say that when I was first shown the photo I was told it was "thought" to be Mrs Nutt and daughters.

Over the years I had hoped to find a living relative to the family without success. I did buy some AY  Nutt letters to his daughters that came on sale on eBay. They came from South Africa? I think there may have been a Malaher  connection in South Africa, but never been able to prove it.

I found the fact that one of the daughters lived on the Isle of Wight interesting. Robert Nutt (my Gt Gt Grandfather ) was a minister on the Island. I think AY Nutt was fond of the Island. He did a lot of work in Whippingham Church,  which can be seen to this day.

I suppose being the weekend we won't know the museum's thoughts till Monday!

Offline mhfow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 January 17 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello C_W

To thank you for your help, I've digitally retouched some problems in the photo you sent. I cannot attach a large enough file here, so I am posting it to the Art detectives site.

M

Offline mhfow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello C

While looking at the Amsterdam addresses, I thought I'd take a peek at the Nutts too. In that cutting of Maud's wedding, the name "Morcott West" appears. It's the name of their house. I later found the full address ("Morcott West", Sussex Place, Slough), in an article which may be new to you: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1393963.

I cannot find the house today. The road is centred on SL1 1NH. On old maps (do you need links?) there are a few large properties at the eastern end north side. However the road has been remodelled and there is much new housing, perhaps war damage.

Before I found Morcott West, my first search found a village called Morcott near - guess where - Oakham. So AY Nutt probably named the house in Slough after his childhood home.

M

PS, I suspect the family photo was taken in the grounds of Windsor Castle. Where else would you take your Dutch relatives, if you had access?!

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello M

The 1911 census shows AY Nutt, his wife, Ida and Maude living at Garden House, Windsor Castle.
I think the family left when he HAD to retire soon after. His retirement came as a big shock to AY. I think he felt he still had a lot of work left in him! He didn't see it coming with his 65th birthday.
He went on to build the first concrete church in Goldthorpe, plus many other projects like the War Memorial in you post.

I had not seen the article, so thank you for that. But sadly no photo. Maybe someone from Rootchat who lives in Slough could help!

C_W

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 19 January 17 12:31 GMT (UK) »
http://buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk/memorials/p320.htm

Thanks to a member of  Rootschat (rosie99) here is a photo of the above memorial!