Author Topic: Can this be fixed?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Can this be fixed?
« on: Saturday 16 July 05 08:17 BST (UK) »
Please tell me if I'm posting too many pictures here - now that I know what a GREAT job you guys can do (grovel  ::) grovel ), I'm dragging all the old photos out to see what could be improved...and came across this one of a sister of my grandfather Harry McKAY (whose photo can be seen in my profile pic).  The date is around 1900.

I had a go at this myself but the extensive foxing beat me.  Is there a way to select the foxing spots and have them removed, or changed into a background colour?

Would be grateful for help and advice.

Many many thanks

Prue (photoshop rookie)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can this be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 July 05 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue, the foxing on this picture is so extensive the only way I can think of is to run an industrial strength  dust and scratch plug-in filter to try and smooth them out into an average tone. I used a plug-in called neat image but it's a trial and error thing. to much and it goes blurry, to little and their is not much change at all.

I tried it on your photo but I don't think it's the best solution to the problem.

There is no limit to the number  of photos you can post but a little bit of common sense is called for as too many at one time might overwhelm the volunteers. I'd say one a day while business is slow is good going. If there is four or five posted from different people maybe waiting till  the backlog is cleared would be the way to go.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 05 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue

That Neat Image Software is superb, does take a bit of playing around with and have not found an undo button yet

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 05 17:42 BST (UK) »
My go for what its worth
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline Gary56