Author Topic: Middle names of children 1800  (Read 8985 times)

Offline boydi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Middle names of children 1800
« on: Saturday 16 July 05 08:50 BST (UK) »
Was there a norm in giving children their middle name ie 1800's

Did the 1st son & daughter get the mothers maiden surname & from then on did they get the mothers fathers surname as a middle name. Was there a pattern or did it just happen. I am trying to find an easy solution to trying to search and am hoping there may have been a protocol.
Boydi
Moss/Debney/Bulpitt/Owen/Ovens -Sth Aust from 1838
Urquhart/Harcourt/Harker - Dalkeith, Scotland: Saltia, Pt Augusta Sth Aust, Broken Hill NSW
Doherty - Londonderry, Donegal, Belfast
McLaughlin - Donegal
Foley/Doherty/O'Neill/Moore - Antrim, Clydebank, Coventry, NSW
Dawson - Newlyn, Cornwall to Aust.
Kelynack/Love - Newlyn, Cornwall to Aust

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Middle names of children 1800
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 09:47 BST (UK) »
It would be common to see the mother's maiden name used as a middle name (I've seen several families where a number of children bear the same middle name, and that's generally the mother's maiden)

Often the child is named after a relative, so Mary Smith Brown is named after her grandmother, Mary nee Smith.  There are several suggested 'patterns' for first names - you might want to check if any of your families tended to match up with these:

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/hardiehistory/namemeanings/namingsystems.htm#StandardEnglish

Another possibility is that the middle name is taken from the clergyman who baptised the child - this apparently was common in some areas.

Sometimes, of course, there's just no pattern.  One of my grandfathers has the middle names 'John Rice'.  His father was John Rice Tong, and the grandfather of John Rice Tong was also John Rice Tong.  The mother of that John Rice Tong, Martha Pascoe, had a brother, 'John Rice Pascoe'.  The paternal grandmother of Martha Pascoe and John Rice Pascoe was Jennifer Rice, who married Anthony Pascoe.  However, none of the children born to Anthony Pascoe and Jennifer Rice carried Rice as a middle name.

Anthony Pascoe = Jennifer Rice
c.
Anthony Pascoe = Martha Heathrington (note this surname was not carried through)
c.
Martha Pascoe = Benjamin Tong    and John Rice Pascoe
c.
John Rice Tong (no children with middle name Pascoe)
c.
William Henry Tong
c.
John Rice Tong
c.
Edgar John Rice Tong

In general, this particular family didn't have surname middle names, so I was happy when I tracked it down!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarQld

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 10 01:20 BST (UK) »
Would this be John Rice Pascoe b1818 in Mylor?  I am researching my Pascoe's in Mylor & would be good to connect. :)

Sometimes, of course, there's just no pattern.  One of my grandfathers has the middle names 'John Rice'.  His father was John Rice Tong, and the grandfather of John Rice Tong was also John Rice Tong.  The mother of that John Rice Tong, Martha Pascoe, had a brother, 'John Rice Pascoe'.  The paternal grandmother of Martha Pascoe and John Rice Pascoe was Jennifer Rice, who married Anthony Pascoe.  However, none of the children born to Anthony Pascoe and Jennifer Rice carried Rice as a middle name.

Anthony Pascoe = Jennifer Rice
c.
Anthony Pascoe = Martha Heathrington (note this surname was not carried through)
c.
Martha Pascoe = Benjamin Tong    and John Rice Pascoe
c.
John Rice Tong (no children with middle name Pascoe)
c.
William Henry Tong
c.
John Rice Tong
c.
Edgar John Rice Tong

In general, this particular family didn't have surname middle names, so I was happy when I tracked it down!

Offline hands

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 July 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
yes, it is! sorry for delay in replying, please contact me if you get this message!
WARW: Hands, Wilkinson, Copage, Serle, Doughty
YORKS: Bagshaw
LINCS: Cawkwell
NANTS: York
KENT: Brigden, Noakes, Budds, Partridge, Staples
BUCKS: Green
SURR: Penfold
LEIC: Wells, Green
STAF: Dawson, Brain, Malbon
CORN: Tong, Gilbert

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 October 15 11:23 BST (UK) »
And Anthony & Martha's daughter Martha named her youngest son John Rice BRUNNING