Author Topic: Elizabeth Best. A death date but no place, help please!  (Read 2608 times)

Offline billseary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Best. A death date but no place, help please!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 April 21 22:21 BST (UK) »
Marlene,

I have just come across this thread. According to the transcription on FindMyPast, Elizabeth Best was buried in Eton, Buckinghamshire on 30 May 1825. That seems a strangely long time after the death recorded in the bible you have (unless the year was an exceptionally cold one). You might want to check with the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies to see if you can get an image of the original.

I believe she was in Eton because her brother Thomas had become well-to-do and ran an inn and a stagecoach line in Windsor and farmed in Eton Wick.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 April 21 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Bill,

Thank you and wow!  So much information in your post  :D

I will post-haste check that transcription at Find My Past.  If one of her Lillywhite brother's was at Eton it would explain why Elizabeth's son Philip moved there too.

Are you a relation?

Many, many thanks,
Marlene

PS I now have an image of the Bible information so will double check the date too
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline billseary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 April 21 07:28 BST (UK) »
Good luck with all that.

I am afraid that I gave the wrong name for her brother. He was a John Lillywhite. He is a direct ancestor of my wife. Thomas was the father of John and Elizabeth.

John is an interesting case. We don't know why he was in Norfolk, claiming to be a gamekeeper, when he got married just outside Norwich in 1802. Then he disappeared from the available records until he christened a daughter in Windsor in 1808. In the interval, he had had an earlier daughter and acquired considerable wealth.

I am sure that there must be more information about him out there somewhere.

All the best,

Bill

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 April 21 04:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bill.  Since seeing your message I have been researching Lillywhites' of Eton etc and came across John and Martha Lillywhite and their family. 

John is indeed an interesting case...  Do you know that his brother Peter Lillywhite (of Littlehampton, Sussex) was a master mariner and owned land and house/s in Littlehampton from at least 1820.  So he too made money from a very humble beginnings and I wonder if there is a connection there to John's wealth?  Elizabeth's son James Best was a sailor on the 'Endeavour' from Littlehampton and captured by the French in 1807 and spent about 7 years as PoW in Arras.  I have to ask, somewhat reluctantly, whether we should consider smuggling...

Cheers, Marlene   
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline billseary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 April 21 13:09 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.

I had not found the link to Peter - time for me to go back to the Sussex records!

I think I saw a mention somewhere in this thread of the https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/l/i/l/Louis-Patrick-Lillywhite/GENE1-0001.html website, which gives a lot of information about the descendants of John and Martha.

Keep well!

Bill