Author Topic: Tracing distinctive first names and middle names  (Read 13366 times)

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing distinctive first names and middle names
« Reply #108 on: Sunday 04 November 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was named Frederick James Jones.  The name Frederick had never appeared anywhere that I could tell.  Then I noticed his parents wedding information and noted one of the witnesses was named Frederick James Styles.  My grandfather was named after the best man!  I never saw that coming.  :)
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Thursday 03 September 20 18:15 BST (UK) »
My new challenge ... identifyng the Martindale migrant from the Lake District to London.

In my Martindale line, the middle name "Tamar" or "Tamer" crops up quite often. At first I assumed a West Country link, but no! The he name "Tamer" seems to frequently found as a middle name (and occasionally a first name ... including a Tamer Martindale) in the Lakeland hamlet of Holme Cultram.

So that's where I shall be concentrating my efforts ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Thursday 03 September 20 18:22 BST (UK) »
................following on with your request Thomas King Spooner according to ancestry.com died in March 1923 in Ireland, interestingly enough also confirms him being born in Wicklow Ireland in 1856 prior to moving to the UK (although there's later census certificates mentioning him being born in Clerkenwell London), I'm related down the line and I remember his grand daughters Sheila and Iris Spooner mentioning their grandad's Irish birth many years ago, hope this to be of help

I've only just seen this, Griff (wasn't doing much on the family history front in 2018 ... )

We've managed to piece together a lot more about Edgar and his family since then, of course ... but I wonder what the Ancestry confirmation is based on. Is it just the census entries, do you think? Or does somebody else have something more that we need to investigate?

Very interested in learning more about Sheila and Iris. Of course, we know there were spurious stories put about in the family to cover up for the potentially bigamous marriage ... and this may simply be the echo of another one.

My father was always adamant that both of his parents were half Irish, but they were nothing like. (My paternal grandfather had no Irish blood in him at all; but during the second war my great grandfather took his wife and six youngest children to live in Bray for the duration, and this led my uncle (born 1948) to have somehow acquired the notion that the family line consisted of "gentleman farmers in Bray" ... so these stories of Irish descent can very easily gain currency!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright