Author Topic: Goodrich parish records lookup: a long shot and a sad tale  (Read 1350 times)

Offline clb222

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Goodrich parish records lookup: a long shot and a sad tale
« on: Tuesday 05 January 16 17:41 GMT (UK) »
If some kind soul has access to the Goodrich parish records and can check if there are baptisms for Frederick Higgins, b 1886, Tom Higgins, b 1888 (possibly Walter Tom) and Olive Higgins, b 1890, I'd be very grateful. I think all of them are the children of Clara Higgins, who was quite possibly under 16 when she had the first one.    
I found a tree on ancestry with a birthdate for Olive - no father, Clara as mother - so presumably the tree's owner got her birth cert and no father was recorded, and I expect it's the same for the other two children, so, very long shot, but I'm hoping that the parish clerk might have commented on the baptisms: perhaps it wasn't unusual for someone of her age at the time to have not one but three illegitimate children, but I've never come across it before.
Clara was in the 1891 census in Goodrich with her parents, brothers and sister and the three little ones, but she's nowhere to be found in 1901, and I can't find a death or marriage anywhere that fits her. The three children were living with her mother Elizabeth in Lydbrook in 1901, and listed there as Elizabeth's children (clearly adopted, as E was 59) so it looks like Clara died, but maybe it's a mystery I'll never solve. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Goodrich parish records lookup: a long shot and a sad tale
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 20:05 GMT (UK) »
The Forest of Dean FHS is possibly the best place to look, they have transcriptions of many Herefordshire parishs,you have to register but it's free.

Mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Herefordshire archives claim to have baptisms for Goodrich 1885-1961, but there are no bishops transcripts listed after 1874, so the Forest of Dean may be the only place where they are available online.

Mike

Offline clb222

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Mike, that looks good. They have an emigration list too! - that's a possibility I hadn't thought of :)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly John and Elizabeth appear in the 1871 in Goodrich, and listed separately is a William Higgins aged 4 and a Maria Higgins aged 1, is Maria Clara?

Mike

Offline clb222

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I've always assumed she must be, as Clara was born in 1869 and is 11 in the 1881 census.
No luck finding the baptisms on the Forest of Dean site, which only lists baptisms for Goodrich to 1884, but thanks again for the link, it's a fantastic site & it's cleared up several other mysteries for me  :)