Author Topic: DNA Test Result - seems a bit odd.  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Test Result - seems a bit odd.
« on: Wednesday 06 January 16 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi - Hope that someone can help.

I have just had my test results from Ancestry and they show 99% United Kingdom plus 1% Irish.  This agrees with my research over the past 200 years BUT my question is - How was it possible for my more distant ancestors to have lived in a multi-cultural country without mixing with some of the invaders, refugees and visitors?  Even Ancestry agree that the average Britain can only expect to have only 60% United Kingdom ethnicity.

Many thanks for your time, Carl

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Test Result - seems a bit odd.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 11:11 GMT (UK) »
What type of test was it and how many markers?

While I agree on the surface it looks odd , there may be valid reasons. Was there anything in the way of comment from the company you tested with?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 11:15 GMT (UK) »
You are going to think me a bit stupid but I don't know the type of test.  It was just the standard test offered by Ancestry.co.uk.  They said that they tested against 700,000 markers.  Carl

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Looking again at the "Ancestry" website they say that they test against the entire genome, but do not state autosomal or any other type of test.  Thanks for your interest.  Carl

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 11:25 GMT (UK) »
No I would never think you are stupid...until you prove otherwise :P

If you don't mind could you give a ballpark figure of how much the test cost you? :)

Ancestrys home page states that According to Donnelly, only a couple of groups, namely the Cornish and Welsh, have populations that can be genetically characterized as distinctly British. Most other populations in Great Britain show more recent ties to groups such as the Anglo-Saxon Germans, Danish Vikings, and Scandinavians. -

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2012/06/22/got-scandinavian-why-your-dna-results-may-have-unexpected-ethnicities/

Does this tie in with your own research/background?

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
It usually cost around about £100 - but was on special offer at the time.  They said the results might take a couple of months, but they came through in half that time.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Presumably, this test only relates to racial origin. If I had it done, I would want to know likely relatives, names and addresses, which I doubt would be forthcoming.

Scots are not mentioned, they are Celts. Apparently, the Danes can't be separated from Anglo-Saxons by DNA. Vikings (Norwegians in this context) can. They founded Dublin and penetrated ireland to some considerable extent (Also Northumbria, capital York). Vikings from Ireland now form the majority of Cumbrians. Melvyn Bragg is of Viking descent.

This test would be of little or no value to me, I have a Welsh surname, so no need for origins.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 18:33 GMT (UK) »
The ancestry one is autosomal. It usually says 6-8 weeks for processing but tends th be 2-3 weeks once processing starts. The last 2 ones we had done was  two of my brothers, one got 31 percent scandinavian and the other about 16 percent and both had Irish one about 25  percent I think the other about 16 percent , my sister more Europe west than Great Britain whereas I was 60 percent gb. We 're all a mixed bag but all class as European. Even other members of the close family are varied.Ethinicity is n't an exact science. Interestingly enough we are starting to get closer to who are matches are relating ! Am in contact with a few people.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 January 16 10:31 GMT (UK) »
I ordered on the 5th{ to take advantage of the special offer} the kit arrived on the 6th from Ireland and has to go back to Ireland.

I am a bit phased by the amount of saliva needed-I was expecting a" swab" ???

Kim