Author Topic: Rhymney burials  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Marylebone2010

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rhymney burials
« on: Wednesday 06 January 16 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I have a death notice from the Western Mail (3 Aug 1892 p4) for my ggfather, Rev Taliesin T Jones "respected pastor of the English Baptist Chapel, Pontlottyn", who died on 31 July . It says that the funeral will take place "at the Rhymney Cemetery, where Mrs Mary Jones [his wife] was buried in January 1891".

I have their death certificates. But thought I would like to try and pinpoint the possible physical locations of their graves - even if they're no longer visible. So I contacted Caerphilly council for a register search. But they explain that this cemetery only opened in 1894.  They tell me that "any burials prior to that would have taken place at Parish Church Cemeteries within the Rhymney area, therefore you would need to contact the parish directly to obtain any information which may help".

Does anyone have any advice about where to start?  Especially since he was self-evidently not CofE, which may have affected which cemetery would accept the burials?  (He died in Rhymney at Cyclops House).

thanks for any tips.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rhymney burials
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 16 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I think the council's info is wrong - searching in the newspapers find a number of announcements of burials in the Rhymney Cemetery prior to 1894, and a caretaker was sought in 1888. The council bought the land from the Marquis of Bute in 1886, but there was considerable dispute locally about requirements to consecrate the ground

Offline Marylebone2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 16 08:40 GMT (UK) »
That is so helpful Mabel.  It doesn't surprise me much either. Thank you.

I've replied to the Council asking them, as politely as possible, to revisit this information or at least tell me where they sourced it.

Do you think Gwent Archives might be able to help?  I could pay for a bit of research on the matter.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 16 09:25 GMT (UK) »
His wife's funeral notice appeared in the South Wales Daily News, 26 Jan 1891

".... funeral Thursday 29th at three p.m for Rhymney cemetery"

Offline Marylebone2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 January 16 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for this extra information.  Seems to prove conclusively that Rhymney Cemetery existed, and under that name, well before the Council say it was founded.

If I do find out anything definitive I'll post it here, so that it's on record. (And if anyone else can throw more light please do).

Offline jane camp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 July 18 16:32 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for my G Grandad who was buried in 1889. He has ended up at the churchyard in Rhymney, he was not c of E he was Chapel and all his family are in the cemetery. Some microfilm of the churchyard graves are in Rhymney library or Gwent archives. I've been trying to find out why he is in the churchyard. Its no good writing to the parish I have tried 3 times with not response

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 July 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Many chapels didn't have a graveyard attached, for example where they were built on a small plot in the middle of a terraced street and if there was no municipal (multi denominational) cemetery to hand the local churchyard was the only option. This was a cause of dispute until an Act of 1880 as the Church of England/Wales vicar would insist on performing the service following a rite the family might not agree with. the 1880 Act allowed other Ministers to preside.

Offline jane camp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 July 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Do you know anywhere they keep records of stillbirth in wales in 1945.