Author Topic: illustrated chronicle soldiers  (Read 12227 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: illustrated chronicle soldiers
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for telling us about this addition JayG. :) What a marvellous resource this is!

Also, for those who may have had ancestors who served in the Great War and were from Whitley Bay, Cullercoats, Tynemouth, Monkseaton, Earsdon, and were either wounded, killed or awarded - there may be a write up and a photograph of them in the 'Whitley Seaside Chronicle and Visitor's Gazette '.  This newspaper is held on microfilm at North Shields library.  The photos are very good quality and the accompanying obituaries are full of background information.  This paper also contains death and memoriam notices.  This paper is not online yet which is a shame as I think it is a veritable goldmine of information for anyone researching ancestors who lived at the coastal area.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 13 October 18 11:08 BST (UK) »
I've been checking the site on a regular basis hoping for more photos to be added and nothing new for a long while. So I emailed the library to enquire if the project is still ongoing.

The good news is yes, it is but its been delayed. They don't have a completion date for the remaining years but they have been working on scanning more images and they are hoping to add some new images before the end of 2018.

Boo

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 01 December 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all who have given heads up to this thread and also how to do a quick search.

I am in bits and my desk is awash with tears. After decades of chasing dead ends, I now know what my father's elder half-brother looked like - the family resemblance is strong; uncle Mick inherited his mother's Irish genes, as did my father and also myself.

RIP sgt Michael McDonough, died from acute pneumonia, 14 January 1919 at Northern General hospital, aged 28 years. Buried Church Bank cemetery, Wallsend.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 01 December 18 15:35 GMT (UK) »
A lovely thing to have and so nice for future generations too.

Still no new additions but I am hopeful that more will be added soon - I have my tissues at the ready in the hope that I too will find a couple of people I am looking for.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 01 December 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
http://www.newmp.org.uk/article.php?categoryid=99&articleid=1402&displayorder=92

Bob's lass is this him on the NEWMP website on this the 'Every Name A Story' section?

And on this database?

http://northumbriaworldwarone.co.uk/interactive/
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 01 December 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes, on both counts.  :)

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 02 December 18 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi  tickettyboo :) do you think more photo's of wounded men from the Somme  will be printed, my grandad was wounded twice during great war, first wound October 1914, then again 1st July 1916, I'm so desperate to find a photo of my grandad who I never met, no photo of him came down to us his grandchildren, before he died in 1939 he applied to join the Old Contemptables Association and was accepted in 1938.
My grandad Robert Casey joined the Kings Own  Scottish Borderers 1912.
R. Casey pte 6371.
First wound in or around 12th October, fighting with 2nd Batt K.O.S.B.
Second wound 1st July 1916 on the forst day of the Somme.
With the first wound he was sent back to the UK and admitted to the Royal Infirmary Sunderland,
he appears on hospital rolls of K.O.S.B December 1915 Berwick upon Tweed.
The first wound my grandad give an interview that appears in the Sunderland Daily Echo stating he like other lads had been hit with german dum-dum bullets.
Hoping and praying grandads photo turns up, I know so many many people like me in same boat.
All the best.
Derek
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 02 December 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
As far as I am aware the Illustrated Chronicle printed photos that were sent in by the families of the men killed or wounded.
IF your Grandad's family sent one in and it was in the paper then from what I was told when I enquired it will, eventually, be published - but how long that will take I don't know.

It looks like they have already uploaded what they have for 1914 and for July 1916 and, as you will know, he's not in there.

Best you can hope for I suppose is that when they complete 1916 there 'may' be one perhaps published in August or September 1916.

Boo

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 02 December 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks boo.
All the best.
Derek
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.