Author Topic: illustrated chronicle soldiers  (Read 12206 times)

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: illustrated chronicle soldiers
« Reply #45 on: Monday 03 December 18 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi jay, sadly when I was told about this photo the house was demolished, and very sadly it seems the relevence
of the photo was lost to those who should have cherished it greatly, I did try and contact some family members but
again it didn't seem to be a loss.
I've tried looking through our Stockton on Tees library going through micro film of news papers that might have shown Stockton lads coming back from the Somme, its always possible I missed some thing but sadly again found nothing.
All the very hest to all.
Derek
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I have spoken to a member of staff on the desk at the local studies.  He says as far as he is aware the plan is to photographs all the individual portraits.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally, for anyone who may have had ancestors on the Wellesley training ship in North Shields - there are 5 photos on the front page of the Illustrated Chronicle dated Thursday August 3 1916.

The heading is:

THE PROUD RECORD OF THE BOYS OF THE WELLESLEY'

Subtitles under each photo are:

'The 100th boy for active service'

'The boys at physical drill'

'Instruction in how to handle the 'boat'

'A bathing parade'

'Too young to join the forces these boys are doing their bit in another way.'
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 20:32 GMT (UK) »
 ;)Great news River Tyne lass, well done.
All the very best.
Derek

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 06 December 18 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Stockton I did have a brief look yesterday for your Grandfather but I had so little time and there are so many photos it would take hours to look through properly so probably best to wait until more are published. 

Do you have the date of the Sunderland newspaper in which your Grandfather was interviewed?  Perhaps I could check the Illustrated Chronicle at some point next week around that date to see if this might also be recorded in this also.

All the very best to you too :)

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 06 December 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tyne Lass, grandads interview appeared in the Sunderland Daily Echo & Shipping Gazette
Tuesday October 20 1914.
He states he and other lads had been hit by german dum-dum bullet, he like his mates had not had a change of cloths in two months.
Many many thanks.
Derek

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 10 December 18 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Whew!  The print is tiny in this newspaper but I think I have found a mention of your Grandfather .. only I think he has been mistakenly recorded as 'Private N. Casey.'  What do you think, stockton - could this be him?

Illustrated Chronicle - Tuesday October 20, 1914
Page 4

'GRUESOME STORIES
A Chat With the Wounded Soldiers at Sunderland ..
Instances of German Kindness

The life in the trenches, the men stated, was not rendered any the more attractive when in certain cases the transport could not keep up the food supply because of the shell fire.  Then the "Tommies" went days on short rations.
Private N. Casey stated he was in the fighting for eight weeks, and never had his trousers or his socks off.  He was wounded by a dum-dum bullet.
Another soldier stated it took the Allies two days longer to dislodge the enemy from a village than it did for the Germans because the latter did not scruple to shell the houses, etc., whereas the English respected the property.
Private Gerald Shaw of the Dorsets gave an instance of German kindness.  He was found by a body of Germans on the field as he lay wounded.  The officer spoke to him in English and gave him some coffee, and also had him dragged into the open so that the R.A.M.C. would be able to see him.
All the men spoke of the wonderful fights in the air by the aviators, and said the Allies' flyers were always the victors.'

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 10 December 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tyne Lass, yes thats got to be grandad Casey, this was a mystery to me as to why grandad was brought back to UK, I only knew he appeared on December hospital rolls at K.O.S.B Berwick, but never could find out why. I was kindly sent the news paper article showing he had been wounded and was admitted to The Royal Sunderland Infirmary, it would have been wonderful from my point of view if wounded had had photo's taken, grandad also is shown in the casualty list in the Scotsman. I live in hope a photo some how turns up :'(
All the very best.
Derek ;)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 10 December 18 13:39 GMT (UK) »
I checked the Evening Chronicle and the Newcastle Journal too but unfortunately have been unable to find a repeat of the story in these.

It is a shame that the Illustrated Chronicle didn't also carry a photo of the wounded in the Sunderland hospital but never mind perhaps he may turn up sooner or later when more photos get published.

The newspaper did show photos of the wounded at Armstrong College - this might not be useful to you Stockton but may be useful to some other people. 

Merry Christmas and all the very best to you too! :)