Author Topic: Duplicate or connected posts  (Read 11011 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Duplicate or connected posts
« on: Sunday 10 January 16 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hope this hasn't been raised before  ;D ;D I did do a search honest  :)

I have contributed to several threads on the last couple of weeks which have turned out to have been duplicate requests or connected to earlier posts. Usually the mod or an observant member has found the original post & given a link. It's a bit annoying to find you have spent time looking for & providing information that another kind chatter had found 2 years ago.

I have no idea of the technicalities but I just wondered whether it was possible, when a new topic is posted, for a message to appear to the poster to remind them to provide a link to any other thread on the same or connected subject?

Josey

Added by Trystan:
See: www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738845.msg5851225#msg5851225 
(as there's lots of pages)
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Duplicate or connected posts
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 16 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Don't know about the technicalities of what you are asking but in the last hour I have reported 3 duplicated posts so share your frustration.

In particular - duplicate posts with 3-4 pages of info from a year or so ago and then a new post appears asking for the same info and from the same poster. ::)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 16 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Strongly agree there seems to be a lot more of them lately very frustrating  >:( >:(

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 16 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I agree Josey and Carole, it is annoying after spending time looking up things, then to have someone point out that the same question has been asked on other boards. Some people obviously think that by posting in several places that they stand more chance of getting an answer. I can forgive people new to the forum, but not those who have been members for quite a time and so should know better.

That is a good idea, Josey. I wonder how easy that would be?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 16 18:37 GMT (UK) »
It's also disappointing when you discover that suggestions of possible leads in the earlier (unlinked) threads apparently haven't been pursued and that earlier threads haven't been replied to.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 16 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes Jen - particularly when somebody has been advised to buy a particular cert to advance their research but don't bother doing so
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 16 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes Jen - particularly when somebody has been advised to buy a particular cert to advance their research but don't bother doing so

I'm beginning to think that is the reason in some cases. People don't realise that genealogy can be quite an expensive hobby and, perhaps mislead by the television programmes, think that everything is available for free on line. They ask for information from recent certificates and expect people to go and look it up for them. Maybe they think if they ask enough times someone will do the impossible. I'm afraid that you have to spend money if you are serious about it as a hobby, after all you wouldn't expect to do other hobbies such as fishing, sewing, stamp collecting without spending money to get the basic equipment.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 16 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Some think that ( a one-off ) £9.25 is expensive.

I have been known to be very vocal about wasting MY time ( let alone you others ) duplicating effort/research already done ( and accepted as being done ) and have had very strong discussions with a mod or two ( for whom I have great respect ).

MY time could be better spent helping others than duplicating effort/research already done.

It is a very simple change to the "New Topic" facility to add a bit of verbage reminding people not to repeat/refresh requests already posted AND tell ALL known detail.

If Rootschatters are not told about duplicates, in my view, it lacks respect to those generous enough to donate their time/effort/subscriptions.

Soapbox put back in cupboard.

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 January 16 20:35 GMT (UK) »
It is also very annoying when you help a new member, only to realise that they have asked the same question under another username after a break from being on the board.  Came across it on our board a few years ago, and we cottoned on it was the same person.

Cheers
KHP