Author Topic: Andrew GOWANLOCK and Jennat SMAIL  (Read 2613 times)

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew GOWANLOCK and Jennat SMAIL
« on: Sunday 10 January 16 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone know of this couple who were married at Selkirk about 1699. They were both born about 1680 at Selkirk and had, as far as I know 5 children. 1]. John born circa 1701. 2]. William born circa 1703 and baptised 7 February 1703. 3]. Margaret born circa 1705, and baptised 2 April 1705. 4]. James born circa 1707 and baptised 2 February 1707. 5]. Isabel born circa 1710 and baptised 26 March 1710. All children were born and /or baptised at Selkirk.
Both John and Margaret got married and had children.
Jennat SMAIL's parents were George SMAIL and Mary WIGHTMAN, but have no further information about them.
I am looking for Andrew GOWANLOCK's parents.
Any help?
Kind regards,
Margaret

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew GOWANLOCK and Jennat SMAIL
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 16 20:08 GMT (UK) »
MARGARET103  I AM FROM SELKIRK AND HAVE RECORDED ALL THE LOCAL CEMETERIES OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS.THE TROUBLE IS GOUINLOCK OR GOVANLOCK OR GOVENLOCK OR GOWANLOCK.
ANYWAY I DID SOME RESEARCH A FEW YEARS AGO AND HAVE COPY OPR RECORD INDEXES FOR SELKIRK AND ROXBURGHSHIRE .THEY SHOW MARGARAET JOHN JAMES AND ISABELL AS GOVENLOCK AND WILLIAM AS GOWENLOCK C 7-2-1703 SELKIRK.I HAVE 1841 AND 1851 COPY CENSUS RECORDS AS WELL. IF YOU WOULD LIKE THEM SEND ME A PM AND I WILL POST THEM.
I DONT SEE ANDREW OR JENNET IN OUR OLD CEMETERY OR AT ASHKIRK WHERE THERE IS A FEW FAMILIES. 
ALAN
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 16 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Alan,
Thanks for the info, but I have the OPR Baptisms for the five children. I don't think that they would be on the 1841 or 1851 census as they would have been about 140 years old on the 1841 census!
But thanks anyway.
Kind regards,
Margaret

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 September 19 19:57 BST (UK) »
I HAVE 1841 AND 1851 COPY CENSUS RECORDS AS WELL. IF YOU WOULD LIKE THEM SEND ME A PM AND I WILL POST THEM.

I don't think that they would be on the 1841 or 1851 census as they would have been about 140 years old on the 1841 census!

I read the reference to the census info. as being in relation to the uncommon surname rather than someone 140 yrs old?

I actually put the surname into the search box here on RC as I came across the name 'Govenlock' which is a very unusual name in the area of Perth 1935

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 September 19 21:13 BST (UK) »
On Sc Pe there is an Andrew Gowenlocke born 1668 in Langholm or Staplegorton, father Thomas

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 19:38 GMT (UK) »
rosinish  Can I suggest you speak to Margaret 103 as I gave her all my records which could help. They came to visit me last year and visited many local cemeteries throughout the borders.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 November 19 05:11 GMT (UK) »
rosinish  Can I suggest you speak to Margaret 103 as I gave her all my records which could help. They came to visit me last year and visited many local cemeteries throughout the borders.

Alan, what I was suggesting was, you were giving census details for the unusual name which may be of relevance to Margaret's wider family i.e. descendants rather than anyone born 1600s.

No need to speak to anyone as all is on an open forum.

I have no connection with this family.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"