Author Topic: 1937 death certificate  (Read 2364 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1937 death certificate
« on: Monday 11 January 16 11:20 GMT (UK) »
What information should I expect to see on a 1937 death certificate? Would it say whether the deceased was the husband of ....?

My experience is from much older ones, where the information is quite limited, even place of death is not always even a full address, and if the informant is not a family member, just a nurse (or similar) present at death I'm not always even 100% sure, I've bought the right certificate.

I know that it is possible to order a birth or marriage cert from GRO and specify it is only wanted if there are particular parents or spouse, but I can't see that there is anything that can be specified on a death certificate.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Scott, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
Re: 1937 death certificate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 16 11:29 GMT (UK) »
If a family member was the informant, the certificate should describe their relationship (e.g. John Smith, husband of deceased). On certificates I have from this era, the informant is usually a family member, and their address is also given. And the place of death is quite descriptive, i.e. house number and street name, rather than just the village. Of course, you won't know exactly what you'll find until you look at the death certificate itself.
It's worth looking at other sources - probate records, burials, newspaper reports, electoral rolls - to give you clues as to whether this death is the one you're looking for... it could save wasting 9.25 on a wrong certificate!
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Online Galium

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 16 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Examples of 1953 and 1955 England & Wales death certificates:

http://www.concertina.com/jeffries/man-and-family/certs/cwj-d.htm
http://www.pask.org.uk/Certificates/DC_1955_Simpson.jpg

as you can see, the format is essentially the same as the earlier ones, but the information entered tends to be a little more detailed. 
The major change was in 1969, when the current style began being used, giving maiden names and places of birth.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 16 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. He was born in 1873 and I believe he died before the 1939 register was compiled because I can't find him on it. In 1939 his wife / widow was living near her two brothers and their families in Berkshire. But there was a family story that his wife was living with a married man in London, so if true, she may have left him between 1911 (where they're definitely together) and 1939. I have tried probate records, but it doesn't seem as if my most promising candidate left a will. At least nothing on UK government probate site. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Scott, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott