Author Topic: WDYTYA - which celebrities would you like to see.  (Read 11078 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA - which celebrities would you like to see.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Personally, I agree it would be nice to see Joe Soap (someone ordinary).

Genealogy has taken off over the last few decades with popular programmes such as WDYTYA, Heir Hunters & other programmes such as Surprise Surprise where long lost relatives are found through research.

What the makers of WDYTYA don't think of is the fact that "Normal" people, just like "Celebrities/Stars" have history too.

I think this would encourage people to have an interest in their ancestry when they see Joe Soap's story?

Why "Celebrities"? They can afford their own research...why not give the opportunity to people less fortunate to be able to trace theirs & let other normal people off the street see what is done to find out their roots.

Best one I saw was Sue Johnson as she wasn't happy with what she found in her ancestry.........
I liked her until I saw her on WDYTYA.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Slightly off topic,
It would be nice to see more programmes that help and get people to 'start' hobbies and interests. I'm afraid I'm old enough to remember series like Watercolour Challenge, Alwyn  Crawshaw's How to paint, and there was a DIY series that showed how to do simple jobs and projects. Remember 'The Green Goddess' Keep Fit! There was usually a dvd sold afterwards! These programmes usually went out around 3pm  in the afternoon (I was home with young children).

Bake Off, Sewing Bee, the various antiques series prove there is an place for programmes like this. Trouble is they are all geared up to have a winner!!

Most councils have 'cut' evening classes that they used to run for 'ordinary people' learning 'ordinary things', be it hobbies, getting fit, etc.

YouTube is great for video's helping people do almost anything, but not everyone uses a computer. TV puts the 'thought' "I would like to do that". With the 100's of stations available now and 'catch up', iplayer there should a space somewhere.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 14:01 GMT (UK) »
I would like David Jason, Martin Lewis, Steve McFadden and John Nettles.

These celebs on WDYTYA have it easy, they have a team of dedicated researchers digging up their ancestors for them no matter where the journey takes them, whereas Joe Soap has to save up and book special trips to travel to record offices and/or have to fork out to pay for a researcher who often lists down any examples of a surname you are after even if they are common, just so they can make more money. I can understand less common names but not Smith or Brown or Jones.

I had one researcher who found examples of a not rare surname 200 years before my earliest known ancestor with that surname, and charged me for the info. Best to start from what you have then work backwards. Never find a man 500 years ago and hope to track descent to yourself, that is putting the cart before the horse. I then stopped hiring this researcher, she was useless anyway. I do all the research myself now.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Plus it's really difficult to go forwards Coombs!!

Forgot to say I would like to see Paul O'Grady as my choice as he's from my home turf (kind of) and no doubt he'd have a few Irish brick walls to smash down.
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Drat! my long-winded reply just vanished. That'll teach me!
I'm not in favour of "ordinary people" on WDYTYA?. It's the joy of poking around in the history of someone well-known, and seeing that there were ordinary roots, that makes it work.
A "Joe Soap" series would close it down. It'd be great fun for the person "being done", but boring as old socks for everyone else. A programme or an Open University course on researching might work, but that's a different matter. Most people in "ordinary" families get a bit stuck once they've worked back through census reords
Like everyone else, I'd really quite like someone with one of "my" names, in case there was a link, and looking on earlier replies, yes, Maggie Smith, John Nettles, and others would be great - I think! But I'd like to see others than actors - the Jeremy Paxman one was good, because most of us knew only a public face, in one role. First rate scientists, serious presenters, writers .... oh, dear, they're all too busy doing their real jobs.... but a Brian Cox, a Dar O'Brien, or similar may work well. And especially when they say "I know quite a bit about my father's side ... but not about mum's, and there's always been this tale about great aunt Nellie...." It's interesting too to see their "Family legends" debunked or made true, like the rest of us. (I did enjoy Sue Johnson's episode - but yes, it totally put me off the woman) I'm not so keen on the bits where  someone's great grandfather was a baker ... so they bake a loaf.
BUT like most of the rest of us, I'm always interested when a new series is announced.
With "celebs" - I almost never know who the "Celebs" on things like seasonal University Challenge or Mastermind are, - but I think that's more down to my age group (never seen CBBC) than anything.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Reckon I must be the lucky one?

Barbara Windsor links into my tree! We are both related to John Constable.
But most of what was discussed, once she got onto the trail of my family, I knew already.

What I think you have to remember is that WDYTYA is an entertainment program, designed to appeal to the masses.
And "the masses" want to know about people they know (or think they know!).
Even then, there has to be an interesting story behind the facts.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I usually only watch if a) I like the celebrity or b) their research is similar to mine in any way.
Really enjoyed the Barbara Windsor episode as we both originate from Bures.
I'd love it if someone researched their oyster dredging ancestors on the Essex coast -I'd really learn a lot about my bunch.

A non-celeb version would be good daytime BBC2 fare... obviously with a much lower budget and less travelling! I'd only watch if I could learn something to help my own research. I reckon my lot are interesting enough to fill an hour's programme. (Then again, I've done so much research that they wouldn't let me on!)

Would like to see Brian Cant on it, to see if we're related ;D
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 18:51 GMT (UK) »
I haven't watched every episode of this show.  I really like Sue Johnson but after reading comments on here from 2 people who have gone off her after watching her episode I am torn between trying to find it to see why they did and not wanting to because I do rather like her............first world problem.  ::)
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 00:46 GMT (UK) »
I usually only watch if a) I like the celebrity or b) their research is similar to mine in any way.

If I took the same view I would probably never have watched any of the WDYTYA episodes.  ;D And you don't know where the research will take them anyway so how can you know if it is going to be similar to yours.  ;)

I have found some of the most interesting episodes to be about celebrities I either wasn't keen on or had never heard of.