Author Topic: William Dobson, South Shields, Master Mariner  (Read 5261 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Re: William Dobson, South Shields, Master Mariner
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 January 16 13:19 GMT (UK) »
To Trish, Garstonite, Seaweed, Radcliff & Stan,
To all of you thank you so much for all the work you have put in, I already had some small pieces of the information but with all the additional information the picture is becoming clear and making sense. Lots to digest and research further. Once again many thanks, you all do an amazing job.
Cheers
Paul Thompson
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 January 16 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Paul, if his papers were witnessed in Falmouth,
perhaps you need to look there , trace the ship's movements
where did she sail to in 1850
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 January 16 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at Lloyd's Captain's register?    I think Cleveland Family History Group have a copy and that often has useful information re Master Mariners.

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 January 16 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Radcliff,
Thanks for your suggestion. Until you replied yesterday I had no idea what ship(s) he was on or where he sailed to, something to start looking up. However I live in Perth, Western Australia so it will all have to be via the internet.
Paul Thompson
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 January 16 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sillgen,
Thank you for your reply, this is all new to me but will try Lloyds Captains register, you can go off on so many tangents researching, makes it all that more exciting, especially if you come across something that you are looking for.
Paul Thompson

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 January 16 20:16 GMT (UK) »
 It is doubtful he has records in Lloyds Captains Register for a number of reasons, the primary one being.  If he held a master's certificate but ceased active service before 1869. As seem to be the case in this instance. Also he would not be listed in LCR if he  did not hold a foreign-trade master's certificate. or Captained a Ferry, Yacht, Fishing boat or any other vessel of a similar nature a Tug for example.
It should be borne in mind that the term "master mariner" was sometimes used loosely and that not everyone so called held a master's certificate.
That said I note Radcliff comes up with a probable certificate from An------  I do not subscribe so cannot check it out.
I cannot find a vessel by the name of MARY JARDINE? for the time scale, nor can I find  in the Mercantile Navy List anyone holding a masters certificate with the name William Dobson or with the certificate number 38698 either serving or the certificates withdrawn (usually in cases of death)
Is there any chance that the part of the document  bearing the name of the vessel and/or certificate number, could be attached?

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 January 16 02:39 GMT (UK) »
 This one has done my head in but I think I have found the bugger!
He obtained his Masters Certificate at London? 13/June/1851. His Certificate number was 38698 (thank you Radcliff) His registered ticket number was 187253. He died in Malta 29/March/1853.
There are other details which I have found. Will get back to you when I have interpreted.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 January 16 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Excellent detective work Seaweed x
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 January 16 12:30 GMT (UK) »
From what I can make out William Dobson made five voyages after obtaining his Masters certificate commencing 10/July/1851.
He was only Master of one vessel. This ship was registered, not surprisingly, in Newcastle. Her port rotation number was 2016. Unfortunately no "Key" exists to marry  port rotation numbers to a vessels name.
Suggest contact with Tyne and Wear Archives they have registration details of Newcastle ships 1786-1931. Try searching newspaper archives to see if you can come up with a ships name. Don't forget the name  MARY JARDINE just because I cannot locate doesn't mean to say she did not exist.
I could give you other links to files at the British National Archive, but as you are in Australia it seems rather pointless.

RIP Roger 10 August 2022