Author Topic: Cattle Market Hotel Stockton  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Reedy2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cattle Market Hotel Stockton
« on: Tuesday 12 January 16 22:41 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find some information about the the people that occupied the Cattle Market Hotel 3 Church Row Stockton. For instance i have a family named Stephenson who lived there in 1861-1871 but i cannot find when the husband and wife married i think i have there deaths but thats it so far.
In 1881 a family surname Arundell lived there but i cannot find them after that or before. And finally in 1891 a family called Hawson lived there but again i cannot find them after or before that. I am trying to find any information i can because me son has recently reopened this pub and we are trying to find out about its history. So any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cattle Market Hotel Stockton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 23:58 GMT (UK) »
I was just looking at the pictures of the refurbishment the other night - good luck to your son.

Starting with the last one you mentioned, the York Herald 07 July 1894 has a death notice as follows:

HEWSON - on June 29th, at the Cattle Market Hotel, Church-row, Stockton, Ann Eliza, beloved wife of John Hewson, aged 35
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 08:40 GMT (UK) »

In 1881 a family surname Arundell lived there but i cannot find them after that or before.

According to the Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail - Friday 03 October 1879 the licence of the Cattle Market Hotel was held by John Arundale, not Arundell

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 08:53 GMT (UK) »
In the Shields Daily Gazette - Friday 15 August 1902 under the title THE BRUTALITY OF A STEPMOTHER. John Hewson and his wife Estelle Hewson, proprietors of the Cattle Market Hotel, Stockton, were charged by the N.S.P.C.C. with cruelly ill-treating Ruth Hewson, aged 15 years, daughter of the male defendant. The defendant had been married three times, and Ruth was his daughter by his first wife. The magistrates were agreed that John Hewson was morally guilty of cruelty, the case against him was dismissed with payment of £3 17s costs, his wife was found guilty and fined £20 with  £3 17s costs.

Stan

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 09:28 GMT (UK) »

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 09:33 GMT (UK) »
From the same site - 3 Church Row became 6 Church Road around 1937?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 10:57 GMT (UK) »
A Richard Morgan was the licensee after the Hewsons.
Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 12:07 GMT (UK) »
In the Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough - Monday 16 April 1877,there is a letter by a George Thwaites, Herbalist,  3 Church Row, so it looks as though John Arundale could  have been the first licensee.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 16:34 GMT (UK) »

Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough - Friday 24 August 1877
Stockton Brewster Sessions. The application of John Arundale, for wine was granted
Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough - Thursday 04 October 1877 John Arundale applied for a wine licence to a house, No.3 Church-row.......The following are to stand over, as the magistrates were equally divided.......John Arundale.....for wine.
Northern Echo - Friday 30 August 1878
Brewster Sessions, Stockton Borough.
Applications; John Arundale of the Cattle Market Inn, Church-row, applied personally for a full license to that house, in addition to that for beer now held by him. He described the property and stabling accomodation, adding that people put their horses, &c, up at his house and went elsewhere for refreshments. Last year the license was granted by the committee, but refused on the confirmation day.......the Mayor announced that the application of John Arundale, of Church-row, for a full licence was, subject to confirmation, granted, and in the event of that being refused by the Confirmation Committee his application for wine was also granted.

Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough - Friday 03 October 1879
Stockton Licensing Committee. At the opening of the Stockton Borough Petty Sessions on Thursday morning the Mayor announced that the Magistrates had confirmed the decision of the Licensing Committee to grant a license for the sale of wine to Mr. John Arundale, of the Cattle Market Inn, Church-row.

Stan