Author Topic: George Derham born approx 1800-1  (Read 1286 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Derham born approx 1800-1
« on: Wednesday 13 January 16 16:16 GMT (UK) »
George Derham died on 9 February 1869 age 68 years at Stanpit near Christchurch.It seemed there was no will, because administration of the effects was granted to one of his sons in July 1876, a few months after George's wife Sarah died. According to 1851 and 1861 censuses he was born in Christchurch.
As far as I can find, the only Derhams born in Christchurch around the turn of the 19th century were either the children of James Derham and Betty Sibley or of  James's brothers - John Derham (and his wife Mary Thomas) and Peter Derham (and his wife Sarah / Sally Hopkins).

There was another brother Joseph bapt 1765 in Morden before the family migrated to Christchurch, (he must have died pre- 1841), who may have married a Jane, because there is a Jane Derham of suitable age to be his widow with a Betsy Derham in 1841.

I think he is most likely to be James and Betty's child because they have John bapt 16 Apr 1797 and Walter bapt 01 Aug 1802, so a gap in the right place.
John and Mary have no obvious gap at the relevant time.
Peter and Sally didn't marry until 1803

Can anyone find George'e baptism please and confirm parents.

George is mentioned in passing here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=709513.msg5529608#msg5529608

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Derham born approx 1800-1
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 February 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Did a DNA test a few weeks ago and have a predicted 4th - 6th cousin match with a direct descendent of George Derham. If George is a child of James Derham and Betty Sibley as I suspect, the match would be my 5th cousin (right in the predicted range) so a bit more evidence to support my theory.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline gerriej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George Derham born approx 1800-1
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 February 24 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I’m a direct descendant of James Derham & Betty Sibley through their son Walter James. He did have a brother called George, born 29 Nov 1799 and he died 9 Feb 1869.
George was a master mariner.  His brother Walter James was christened on 1 Aug 1802, but I haven’t so far been able to find his exact dob.
Derham
Sibley
Gulliver
Avery
Neithercott
Is