Author Topic: George GOULDBY, b abt 1801, Kessingland  (Read 3220 times)

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George GOULDBY, b abt 1801, Kessingland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 January 16 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Taken from a transcript of Kessingland parish register

George s/o Mary Strowger born 12 Dec 1827, baptised 16 Dec 1827

James s/o George and Mary Gouldby late Crowther born 30 June bap 4 July 1830
Mary Ann d/o George and Mary Gouldby late Strowger bap 21 October 1832
Edward s/o Geoge and Mary Gouldby bap 15 Feb 1835

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 January 16 17:02 GMT (UK) »
There was no mention of George Gouldby's baptism c.1801 in the Kessingland register transcript.  I checked the fiche of the original register but it was extremely hard to read so I still couldn't find him, sorry.

As mentioned above, a James and Hannah Gouldby are baptising children at this time and the family names are similar so I noted those details if they become of interest in the future.

Taken from a transcript of Kessingland parish register

James Gouldby SM
Hannah Salmon SW
Both OTP
Married 9th May 1799
He signed his name, she signed X
In the presence of Hannah Rous and Robert Alabaster

Banns 21st, 28th April and 5th May 1799

James s/o James and Hannah Gouldby late Soloman born 17 August baptised 18th August 1799
Also:
William born 9th May baptised 12th May 1805 (mother transcribed as Ann with m/n Soloman)
Edward born 30th May baptised 4th June 1809
Robert born 19th April baptised 13th May 1811
Samuel born and baptised 9th May 1813
Benjamin born 26th June baptised 2nd July 1815
Mary Anne born and baptised 5th May 1817
Daniel born 14th November baptised 15th November 1818

As you can see there is plenty of room for a child to be born between 1799 and 1805 so perhaps George was born to them ~1801

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 January 16 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Oh my, thank you so much annes.  That's more than I had hoped for!

Looks very possible that George b abt 1801 just didn't get to the church for a baptism, but, as you say there's a big enough gap for George between James b1799 and William b 1805.

The George GOULDBY/Mary STROWGER (Jan 1828) marriage is after the baptism of George (Dec 1827) whose only parent listed is Mary STROWGER.  I would think, given his forename and the fact of Mary and George's marriage being only a month after his birth, that George is the father of the baby George.

Does it seem a bit odd that the marriage is 'with the consent of the parents' given that both parties were well in their twenties?

So nice to have the witnesses also.  :)

Once again, many thanks.
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Samantha strowger

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 January 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I don't have the information you seek I don't think but my branch of the STROWGER family tree are very interested to learn about our history. We have a large family so I could fill in a few blanks for you?

I defend from the George Goulby and Mary strowger in question.

My uncle did tell me that I should look at prison records and I may get some answers there.... just an idea for you.

If you are interested to share any information please email me.

Samanthastrowger atsymbol hotmail dot co dot uk

And for your information my family have moved from the Suffolk area and are in the north east of Scotland. 😊 I think we are one of the only strowgers that have moved so far away haha!

I look forward to hearing from you.

A fellow strowger

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 January 17 06:38 GMT (UK) »
My husband's mother's name was GOULDBY.

As you are probably aware George GOULDBY and Mary nee STROWGER had, as far as I know, four children - George 1828, James 1831, Mary 1833, Edward 1835

Edward married Mary DODDINGTON (b 1838, Wrentham) in 1857.

Their youngest son Frank (b 1879) married Jessie PITCHER - these were my husband's grandparents. 

No-one seemed to move far from the area until about 1910 when Frank and his brother Edgar went to Canada, with their families.  Edgar and his family stayed in Canada but Frank died there and his widow, Jessie and her two children returned to Lowestoft.

I have visited a church (I think it was Kessingland) with some lovely STROWGER memorials, including a stained glass window in memory of local fishermen.  I'm just trying to find the photos but they seem to have disappeared from my computer - will have to look further....

We are in Australia but all of my husband's family are still in UK, quite scattered with only one niece now in Suffolk - Ilketshall St Andrew (near Beccles) - who did some research in Lowestoft with me, but we only had a very short visit. 

Will send you an email

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 January 17 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Samantha

I can't get your email to work.  You need to have 3 posts and then we can use the Private Message system.  The posts don't have to be long. 
Judith