Author Topic: John Black b. 1799  (Read 1552 times)

Offline rac3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Black b. 1799
« on: Friday 15 January 16 16:53 GMT (UK) »
I have found a death record for John Black born or baptised on 1st March1799 at Urr he died 18th February 1879 aged 80 years.  He was the son of James Black born 1769 and Jannet Clark who are mentioned on the death record.

I was given permission to look at a family tree that included John Black and on this tree it had him marrying a Marrion Halliday and I have found a marriage for them on 20th December 1818 at Urr.  on the same tree it had his parents down as James Black and Jannet Clark.

On his death record it tells me that he was married to Agnes Robertson.  I have found a marriage record which reads 1849 April  22nd Proclaimed   Married  John Black and Agnes Robertson both of this parish.

His death was registered by his son James Black.  I have found a birth record for a James Black son of John Black and Marrion Halliday in 1822. 

I have been unable to find a death record for a Marrion Black. So I am wondering if she died or they parted and he remarried or it is a different John Black that married Marrion Halliday.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Black b. 1799
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 January 16 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Quite likely it is a second marriage. Check the 1841 census for the parish to see if Marion is still alive then, or if there is another John Black in the parish.

Offline rac3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 January 16 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I have found John Black living at Kelton aged 40 and a Samuel Black aged 15.  John and Marrion had a son Samuel born 1824.  There is no mention of Marrion Black and I cannot find a death record for her on the Scotland Peoples web site. 

John and Marrion had 5 children Alexander born 1822 Samuel born 1824 Janet born 1827 Robert born 1829 Mary born 1831 and John born 1835.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 January 16 00:12 GMT (UK) »
You have a lot of good info there that helps confirm your details.

Sounds like Marion may have died before 1855 and the start of official registration in Scotland. You also have the second marriage details for him (the OPR marriage entry to Agnes and his death registration). You may not find any death info for Marion in the Old Parish Registers unfortunately. Only about a third of BMD events were recorded in the Old Parish Register and deaths/burials are the worst recorded.

Is this a direct ancestor to you? If so, which of John's children is your line?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 January 16 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Is this John and Agnes in 1851:

John Black 50 Day Labourer On Farm b. Urr
Agnes Black 34 schoolmistress b. Crossmichael
Address: Cotton Street, Kelton

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rac3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 January 16 12:43 GMT (UK) »
John Black is my Great 2x Great Uncle and sister to my 2x Great Grandmother and his parents are my Great 3x Grandparents.

I have found John Black in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 living with a Agnes Black at Cotton Street, Castle Douglas also living there was a daughter Agnes born 1852.