Author Topic: Wysall  (Read 6478 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wysall
« Reply #36 on: Monday 13 February 17 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Jesse was born in or around 1870. I've followed him through the various census ending in 1911 where he is a widower living with his 8 children - Mary 18, Alwyn 16, Beryl 11, Alfred 9, Albert 7, Harold 5, Wilfred 2, Dennis 1 month.
In 1901 his wife Sarah Jane is still alive and the 3 oldest children are shown by Gwendoline (Mary) 7, Francis Edward (Alwyn) 6, Caroline (Beryl) 1.
1891 finds him boarding with John and Hannah Stevenson, He marries Sarah Jane Barber in 1892 in Basford, Derbyshire.

Just to get your records straight
he married Sarah Jane Barber 18 th April 1892 Ilkeston Derbyshire

there is no place named Basford in Derbyshire - however Ilkeston is a subdistrict of Basford Registration District which covers parts of Derbyshire and parts of Nottinghamshire

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 13 February 17 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Oh right Suz. I got Basford from the Freebmd site which shows their marriage as being in Basford. I really don't know that area so am getting quite confused by Wysall, Basford and Ilkeston. I think that they are all quite close together. ?????

Towdlass
Stevenson, Toulson, Owen, Bolland, Laxton, Brocksopp, Butler, Banks, Beadling.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 13 February 17 17:37 GMT (UK) »
On free BMD it gives registration districts NOT towns/villages etc where the event took place - it is the same for all over England and Wales- -at first glance all you can glean from FreeBMD is that the marriage took place somewhere in the Basford registration district but if you click on Basford it will bring up list of the places which are withinthat registration district.

Wysall is about 15 miles from Ilkeston -but is in a different county (Nottinghamshire)
Wysall and Basford are both in Nottinghamshire but are about 12 miles apart
Basford is in Nottinghamshire and Ilkeston is in Derbyshire and they are about 9 miles apart

It sounds complicated but is quite straightforward when you get used to it - some registration districts cover parts of 3 counties.

I was born in a place which is partly in one county and partly in another - the whole place is in the same registration district

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 13 February 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for explaining that Suz. I doubt that I will remember it all so may have to write it down for future reference. This is the kind of info you can only get from someone local I think. Once again thanks for making it clear.
Stevenson, Toulson, Owen, Bolland, Laxton, Brocksopp, Butler, Banks, Beadling.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 30 April 18 07:31 BST (UK) »
It would appear highly possible the same Georgina Stevenson born 1921  Ecclesall Bierlow registration district in the Sheffield area, daughter of Edward Stevenson, was married to Eric Hobson Oct to Dec quarter 1939 in Sheffield registration district.

Maybe these Hobson family descendants of today  ? are doing family history and may have past down info being records or verbal past down family knowledge on Edward Stevenson of Sheffield origins and death.  ???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth