Author Topic: find obituary/hugh rafferty died April 1st 1977/philadelphia.  (Read 819 times)

Offline advent

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
find obituary/hugh rafferty died April 1st 1977/philadelphia.
« on: Sunday 17 January 16 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Would it be possible for some kind roots chat member to find the obituary to a Hugh Rafferty. He died in Philadelphia on April 1st 1977. His burial place is Calvery cemetery Conshohocken. Regards.

Offline cheerio6400

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: find obituary/hugh rafferty died April 1st 1977/philadelphia.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 21:33 BST (UK) »
A helpful librarian with the Free Library of Philadelphia conducted a search, but was unable to locate an obit for Hugh Rafferty.  Here is her response:

I spent some time this afternoon looking for the obituary of Hugh Rafferty, d. 4/1/1977. I went through the microfilm of the Philadelphia Enquirer (April 1-15) and the Evening Bulletin (April 1-10). The Daily News, unfortunately, we only carry as far back as 1981, and so I was unable to search that paper.

After a thorough search of the papers on microfilm, and many online resources, I am sorry to tell you that I was unable to find an entry for Mr. Rafferty. Perhaps an obituary was never run in the paper after all?

The most info I found gives only birth/death info and location, which you may already know. Regardless, here is the link: http://www.locateancestors.com/rafferty-born-in-1904/

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 March 16 01:42 BST (UK) »
One caution to keep in mind is that if you're using locateancestors or a similar database that takes the death info from the SSDI, then only the month of death is accurate - not the specific date.  You will notice that almost all of the entries show the person's date of death as the 1st of the month, because the SSDI at that time usually showed only the month of death.  So unless you have some other source that reliable shows the 1st as the date of death, then he could have died on any date during the month.

Steve

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 16 12:40 BST (UK) »
The SSDI for Hugh Rafferty did not give a date, just April 1977 (as in reply 4 on a previous thread)
Hugh Rafferty also had a middle name "Joseph"

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728916.0

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada