Author Topic: Look up Request for a Church in TIVERTON - my 4 x Great Grandparents married  (Read 584 times)

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

I am looking for the Church where Jane Prior and John Sharland were married 15th April 1786 in Tiverton, Devon.  From finding the name of this church I can then determine if previous family members had any connection with this Church if they were baptised/christened or married or buried there.  I welcome any help with this. 

Many Thanks

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request for a Church in TIVERTON - my 4 x Great Grandparents married
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 16 16:55 GMT (UK) »
The film number indicated on the transcript is - GS Film number   917540, 917541

Familysearch film catalogue indicates that it is Church of England, The Parish Church, Tiverton
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/349288?availability=Family%20History%20Library

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Peter%27s_Church,_Tiverton
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request for a Church in TIVERTON - my 4 x Great Grandparents married
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 16 16:59 GMT (UK) »
At this period I would hazard a guess that the marriage took place at St Peter, Tiverton, the parish church.  Pre-1837 all marriages were conducted in the Anglican church, with the exception of Jews and Quakers.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 16 17:03 GMT (UK) »
I don't know whether you have seen the actual entry - John was a Widower, of this parish, whilst Jane was a spinster of this parish.  Both made their mark.  There is a crossed out word prior to Widower, and I believe it says "Labourer".  For some reason the vicar or clerk has decided that occupations are to be removed!
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 16 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi BumbleB and rosie99,

Thank you to you both for finding the actual church being St Peter's in Tiverton, that's interesting as looking on Findmypast it shows various members of the Sharland family and there are a lot of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials that have held these events at this Church from 1735 to the present date it shows various Sharland names, so I'm hoping my John Sharland is related to these Sharlands. 

I really appreciate your help in finding this Church thank you so much.

Thanks again
Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,