Author Topic: Kelly family Athlone ca 1850-1880; St. Peter's Church of Ireland, Athlone  (Read 2297 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly family Athlone ca 1850-1880; St. Peter's Church of Ireland, Athlone
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 January 16 19:58 GMT (UK) »
email  jharte2   and he will tell you what the cost of getting copy is!  very reasonable..

he's  at    @nli.ie
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline brambleside

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly family Athlone ca 1850-1880; St. Peter's Church of Ireland, Athlone
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 January 16 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Sinnan, yes, I did find Preaching Lane on the OSI map, and thought the same thing....not a place for a farmer's family, so you may be correct that she may have lived in as a domestic...she would have been about 20 at the time of marriage.  But again, as you said, she could have been born anywhere in Roscommon.

The marriage cert just says married in the Parish Church according to the ...(illegible)....of the Church of Ireland by Licence by George M'Clenaghan;  I found in a 1882 Achill Missionary Herald article that George had been transferred there summer of 1880 before their marriage 29 Nov 1880.  No note as to any dispensation, etc. 

From a quick view of Kellys in the 1851 and 1841 censuses in Roscommon, they all appear to be Roman Catholic.  I wondered about that as well. 

I also could not particularly find a Peter Kelly family that seemed just right.  However, there was a Peter Kelly in the Griffith's Valuation Record as a tenant farmer in St. Peter's Parish, Athlone, in the Townland of Bellanamullia.  The landlord was Lady Jane Johnson.  From looking at the maps, this Peter Kelly would be a definite possibility....very close to Athlone.  Granted there were 35 Peter Kellys in Roscommon on the valuation, but this was the only one in St. Peter's.  Another one was in Cloongowna in Drum, also pretty close.....

I found 2 Peter Kelly deaths.... one b. ca 1834 d. 1899 in Roscommon, one b. ca 1837 d. 1885 in Athlone.  However unless I can tie one to a family record or Mary's birth.....hard to tell if either is my guy:)

James Henry Morley's family was Church of England, so maybe he refused to be married in a Catholic church.....

I guess if I can look at what records are available for St. Peter's and see if there is any mention of her birth or parents marriage, and if not, could also check the Catholic side as well.  I thought I saw that St. Peter's original records are in the church Body Library, Braemor Park, Churchtown, Dublin, but just also saw your post that transcripts are in the National Library in Dublin.  Either way, we are stopping in Dublin, so hope I can get to one or the other.

Hallmark, thank you for the email address as well!