Author Topic: Bishop's Transcripts Vs Parish Records  (Read 1273 times)

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bishop's Transcripts Vs Parish Records
« on: Tuesday 19 January 16 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Just want a quick check on this as I have been using Bishop's Transcripts due them being available for free online. Would the information in a Bishop's Transcript be the same as that found in the Parish Record or would there be more information recorded in the Parish Records? I only ask as I am desperate for some occupations for my ancestors. This is all pre-1837. My only other experience of Parish Records have included occupations for Fathers and Mothers (Sheffield) but the Bishop's Transcripts I am looking at (Ely) are very 'bare bones'.
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop's Transcripts Vs Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Bishop's transcripts should be an exact copy of the parish register but they often are not.  This may be because:
See https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/England_Church_Records#Bishop.27s_Transcripts

See
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I'd be more inclined to believe the information written on a Parish Register because they were usually written down closer to the event (if the vicar was good doing it, I've seen some where they've forgotten baby's or even parent names and left a blank!) and the vicar probably recognised most entrants as being part of the congregation. When copying to BTs, it must have been easier to make mistakes especially after doing it for a while, like writing down the name of the woman above or below by accident.

Also, a parish register might include notes from the vicar, which could sometimes be quite entertaining or revealing! A scandal might be noted regarding the father of an illegitimate child, or a cause of death might have been added next to a burial, or some such.

Of course if you are really unlucky like me, you might end up with an ancestor in the parish records, the register of strangers and the BTs with the entries for the same event giving different and conflicting information  ::)

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Bishops transcript for one parish gave the wrong bride! What makes it worse still is that the bride on the parish record, can't find the surname and the same surname is on other documents and I think it's prentis or other variation and not pontrice!

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 17:19 GMT (UK) »
We have foumd that while a parish register entry had a blank for a child's fist name in the baptism, the name had been entered in the BTs. ::)  other information helped confirm the BT entry was correct.

I've also found entries in the BTs that were missing in the PRs, and vice versa. Again other documents confirmed the BTs were correct - in relation to the person existing.

Unfortunately in many ways you need to check both, but that is not often practical.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 17:26 GMT (UK) »
It is always best to check both, but not always easy to do in reality.

Saw119 when you say you have BT's for free online is this for just for Ely or are there more out there?
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Just want a quick check on this as I have been using Bishop's Transcripts due them being available for free online. Would the information in a Bishop's Transcript be the same as that found in the Parish Record or would there be more information recorded in the Parish Records? I only ask as I am desperate for some occupations for my ancestors. This is all pre-1837. My only other experience of Parish Records have included occupations for Fathers and Mothers (Sheffield) but the Bishop's Transcripts I am looking at (Ely) are very 'bare bones'.

This is one of those topics that cannot be answered definitively; it all depends on what Bishop’s Transcript and what Parish Record you are referring to.

As a generalisation the Bishop’s Transcript should be just that transcripts of the Parish Register but few are.

Many are abstracts of the Parish Register giving the bare details but some other vicars thought it was a good chance to tidy up the register and they made and kept a copy of the register and sent the original register in to the Bishop (or Archdeacon).
In these cases the register is normally more legible than the Bishop’s Transcript as more care was put into it.
A few even sent pages from the day book to the Bishop instead of taking the bother to write it all up again.

Some Parish Registers are copies of copies (in a few parishes there are three or more copies of the register each slightly different from the next) meaning that the Bishop’s Transcript is closer to the original day book than the register is. (Note all Parish Registers are transcripts of the day book written up weekly).

The biggest problem with Bishop’s Transcripts however is there was no legislation dealing with how the transcripts should be stored resulting in many rotting away in stinking heaps on the floors of attics and cellars.

In the past we always used to be advised to check all copies of the register including the Bishop’s Transcripts, but no one seems to bother doing that these days.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 17:43 GMT (UK) »
It is always best to check both, but not always easy to do in reality.

Saw119 when you say you have BT's for free online is this for just for Ely or are there more out there?

These are BT's for Holy Trinity & St Mary's from the familysearch website. My advice would be to search for the church  and the place your looking for. Eg. I searched for St Mary's, Ely parish records and they eventually revealed themselves. Don't give up though they don't reveal themselves easily. If you need any help give me a shout.
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Saw but I am more interested in Liverpool.  :-\
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.