Author Topic: What! The 1939 Register For Free!  (Read 71230 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What! The 1939 Register For Free!
« Reply #171 on: Sunday 13 May 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
nannyjan:  Does this mean that if someone's name DOES appear on the Register, they are dead?
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Sunday 13 May 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
Dawn - thanks, that's what I expected but it's always worth checking :)

Lydiaann - apparently the 1939 is on Ancestry permanently for UK or World subscribers. 

They appear to have done their own transcriptions so some are different from FindMyPast.  I've compared a few and it looks like Ancestry have had to transcribe the images you can see with the redactions in place, whereas FindMyPast were granted access to the unredacted original entries. 

Example - my mother's name was Peggy and that's what the FindMyPast version has.  The following line is redacted, so Ancestry couldn't see the loops under 'ggy' and they've listed her as Leslie.

Carol

Added:  When I say 'with the redactions in place' I mean the redactions that FindMyPast have now, not the ones they had in 2015.  Hope that makes sense :-\
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Sunday 13 May 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
nannyjan:  Does this mean that if someone's name DOES appear on the Register, they are dead?

Probably, but there have been quite a few cases of people’s records being opened in error when they are still alive.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Sunday 13 May 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
I think today is the last day, yes?  Anyway, why the many, many "This record is officially closed" when I believe there must be family members on the same page.  For instance, I have a relative who is on the 1939 Register, having been born in 1936 and thus only 3 years old, yet her parents - who surely must be there - are missing, possibly under the redacted area...and they are long, long dead (1959 for the dad, and 1977 for the mum).  Strangely, her surname is amended to read her (eventual) married surname.

You seem to be assuming parents will be with children, this was not always the case, the children may have been evacuated or as with my wife’s father living with their nan or other relatives. 1939 was a time when many men had enlisted meaning the father was not at home and if the mother was employed there may not have been anyone to look after the kids.
Other people were afraid of being bombed and sent their children to relatives away from the cities even before the official evacuations took place.

Finally the dataset that Ancestry is using is not as up to date as the Findmypast dataset when it comes to unredacted individuals. I have some records that were unredacted on FindMyPast in 2016 but are redacted on Ancestry and have been told of a record unredacted in 2017 on FindMyPast which is unredacted on Ancestry.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Sunday 13 May 18 18:23 BST (UK) »

Other people were afraid of being bombed and sent their children to relatives away from the cities even before the official evacuations took place.

Official evacuation of children, code named Operation Pied Pipe, began on 1st September 1939, so some children will have been evacuated nearly a month when the register was taken on September 29th.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Monday 14 May 18 04:14 BST (UK) »

Official evacuation of children, code named Operation Pied Pipe, began on 1st September 1939, so some children will have been evacuated nearly a month when the register was taken on September 29th.

For anyone with school teachers in their family who they are unable to find in the 1939 register, it may be worth looking further afield.

I discovered someone I was researching staying with his widowed mother in Norfolk (I believe his usual residence was in the London area). He was noted as "Evacuated with school children - School Master". Also with them was "Evacuated with school children - School Mistress".  :)

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Monday 14 May 18 06:18 BST (UK) »
. . .
For anyone with school teachers in their family who they are unable to find in the 1939 register, it may be worth looking further afield.  . . .

Miners also moved quite some distance. I have two brothers in my tree who 'emigrated' from Wigan, Lancashire I found them in Easington, Co. Durham. They appear to have been there since 1920/21 as one married in Wigan in 1920 and his children were registered in Easington in '21 & '23. One of them was buried ('68) in Hyde, Cheshire and may have been there since '47 as his son is in the same grave and he was killed in a flying accident in 1947.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
They appear to have done their own transcriptions so some are different from FindMyPast.

I've already found several people on Ancestry who I couldn't find on Findmypast, presumably the transcription was incorrect on Findmypast. So even if you don't subscribe to both sites, it's well worth searching on both.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 19:43 BST (UK) »
There are some interesting missing people
My wife’s grandfather is there, where his wife should be, is blanked out. I can’t be sure it is here, she was born in 1880’s but not to be seen.
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com