Author Topic: 1673 Lease indenture between William Viscount of Stafford and Francis Butter  (Read 2994 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1673 Lease indenture between William Viscount of Stafford and Francis Butter
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 05:37 GMT (UK) »
The first word is:  imediatly = immediately

The images actually miss the key words in the second section.

However, see if the wording is this:  ...next ensuing the date hereof for and during and unto...

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
Re: 1673 Lease indenture between William Viscount of Stafford and Francis Butter
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 15:36 GMT (UK) »
HD86

The first word I thought  :o had something to do with death "diath" oops

Hereof works for me, the goofy f had me puzzled. but of course you couldn't see that. Here is the clipped bit.

well done HD

Brian
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 January 16 21:30 GMT (UK) »
In this section there is a couple of holes on the original. Can you check one word and any guesses to the edge of holes.

graunt to and with the said Viscount his heires and assignes by theise presents in manner and forme following that is to pay that hee the said Ffrancis Butter his executors, administrators and assignes or some of them att his and theire
owne proper coste and charges shall and will will and {                          )aire make, scoure, maintaine and amend the said messuage and farme house (and) mills and all and singular, the hedges, ditches, quicksettes, moundes, dames, fences
inclosures, gates and stiles in and about said demiyear (                          )mie to time when and where and as often as need shall require during (the said) terme of twenty and one yeares and the said tenement, mills and premises so
sufficiently repaired, made, maintained, scoured and amended (      ) will att the end and expiration or determination of the said terme lease and ye(      ) unto the said Viscount his heires and assignes And also in case the said Viscount his
heires or assignes shall att anytime hereafter make an agreement with the other owners of the two partes of the said tenement or ffarme, parkes and mills to devide and hould the same in severalty that then the said Ffrancis Butter

Thanks Brian
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 January 16 23:38 GMT (UK) »
It appears I have cut off my sample again :'( I have reloaded the pix

Apologies Brian

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 February 16 00:23 GMT (UK) »
With holes, it can only be guesswork ...

will will and {                          )aire make, scoure, maintaine
will well and (sufficiently rep)aire make scowre, maintaine ...

in and about said demiyear (                          )mie to time when and where
in and about the said demi(sed premises from t)ime to time when and where ...

scoured and amended (      ) will att the end and expiration
scoured and amended (shall and) will att the end and expiration ...

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 February 16 01:02 GMT (UK) »
More guesswork ...

determination of the said terme lease and ye(      ) unto the said Viscount
determination of the said terme leave and ye(ild) unto the said Viscount ...

I agree with in Severalty (= in his own right).

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 February 16 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Bookbox for having a look at my indenture. Your best guess seems very reasonable. Thanks for fixing my "well will" "leave lease" ;D

Is scowre just a misspell of scour?

I appreciate your time and expertise.
Brian

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 February 16 01:19 GMT (UK) »
In the 1st example above it's written scowre. In the 3rd example it's written scoured. Just variant spellings of the same word. There was no consistency at this date, even in the same document.

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 February 16 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarity, Bookbox

Brian