Author Topic: Maggie Davies Abergele  (Read 3553 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Maggie Davies Abergele
« on: Thursday 21 January 16 09:24 GMT (UK) »
I just can't let her go lol
I have found a marriage in 1907 in Egwlys Rhos where a Maggie davies is marrying a Jonathan Rawling but the brides fathers name is down as the grooms
Fathers name a typing error, apart from ordering the certificate is there any other way of seeing if it's my Margaret. Thank you   

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Davies Abergele
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 January 16 08:30 GMT (UK) »
in 1911 the couple are living in Merthyr Tydfil Glamorgan.Maggie given as born in Llandudno in c 1886.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 January 16 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Good morning  I hope you are well, and thank you for your reply.
Back to the drawing board where did she go lol 

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 16 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Valerie,I'm fine and hope your well?Yes,Maggie must be the mystery of all time!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 January 16 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I feel so much better when you see her as a  mystery, but you found both her sisters  and I could not, I am forever greatful :))))

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 January 16 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Rhos is a shortened name for Betws yn Rhos which is a small village just outside Abelgele. It does have a parish church.
Referring to your original message, Maggie could be marrying her cousin as a widow. Her maiden name would be Rawling if the bride/groom fathers' were brothers (or cousins?)
Might be worth checking 91/01 census so see if they have some common ground.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 January 16 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Eldon,
Thanks for  The reply, it looks like this Maggie wasn't born in Abergele where my Maggie was.

The only thing I know for sure if she was born 25 November 1885 I have her BC.
  I know she wasn't about in 1922 when my mother was born as Dr Barnardos do not mention Margaret.
 My second cousin who is now deceased told me that she was married with two boys he believed and he knows she went to Patagonia  I know I should've asked her married name  I kick myself many times.
 This cousin's mother was the sister of Margaret and he worked for the salvation army in Australia and I have no reason to doubt him
 I met another Second cousin whom I felt his information was secondhand,  my first question to him was what was Maggie's married name he answered immediately Evans.

I came straight home ordered a  certificate when it came it was not her the father was not correct.
 I always thought I had her in the 1901 and 1911 census but you can never be 100% sure of that if they're not with the family can you
 Part of me thinks she must've been married by 1911 if she had two boys and went to Patagonia because the first world war started in  1914 and I'm thinking surely an able-bodied man would not be able to go to Patagonia while there was a war on.
I met a lovely lady in the registry office  a few months ago   As she kindly search the marriage registers for a Margaret or Maggie Davies from 1900 to 1920 and there was only one with a father called Daniel and he was deceased and a market Gardener not the right one.
 Also I have in my possession (downloaded by me ) an outward bound passenger list showing  Mrs M Evans and two boys there title master  sailing from Liverpool to Patagonia but no husband with her. could this be her but where's the  marriage .
 She is a big mystery,
I have no idea where to go next :(((
Thanks for replying

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 January 16 14:38 GMT (UK) »
The only thing putting me off Mrs Evans she and the boys traveling first class and my Maggie very poor

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 January 16 16:43 GMT (UK) »
You say about the sailing 'no husband with her'. Fast forward to today with all the migration, most of which are young men, paving the way for their families to follow. Could that be the case for Maggie? Her 'husband' may already be in Patagonia and pays for the journey 1st class, because he knows she will be alone with the children, for several weeks.

But maybe there isn't a marriage because the man is already married and cannot get a divorce, so they set up home together. Eventually they deicide to emigrate and start a completely new life.
Do you have the children's birth certs? I think once you have identified the father you can then recheck the passenger lists.

Try checking the web for information of people arriving in Patagonia. The National Archives will have some information. I am assuming that they never returned so the children will have settled and raised families of their own.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire