Author Topic: question about legacy  (Read 599 times)

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
question about legacy
« on: Thursday 21 January 16 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have a question... I found the probate entry for one of my ancestors in the registers in 1903. He left his money, about £2400 (quite a lot of money then) to an unrelated person.

My ancestor, John Adams, was a picture restorer and frame maker. The guy getting his money, Samuel Hobbs, was a gilder. They both had workshops in the same area (Noel Street, Frith Street, wardour Street) and were about the same age. It is very possible that they knew each other and probably worked together.

I wonder, however, why he left his money to him and how this is possible. In Belgium, where I live, an inheritance always goes 50% to the wife (if she survives) and the remaining 50% is divided among the children. It is very difficult or even near impossible not to leave them anything.
At the time of his death, John was a widower, but he had at least 5, possibly 6 children alive (2 boys, 3 or 4 girls). Worse: when he died, two of his daughters and one grandson were still living with him!
Why didn't they get anything? Is it so easy to disinherite your children?

Thanks for any explanation :)
Tom

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: question about legacy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 16 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Are you only looking at the entry on the probate register as it will show the name/s  of the executors who are not necessarily the beneficiaries. You will need the will to see who inherited the money

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: question about legacy
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 16 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, that would explain a lot :)