Author Topic: Lost Cousins - Customer service at it's worst?  (Read 51163 times)

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Cousins - Customer service at it's worst?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 January 16 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I asked about the forum early last year.  He told me I had to add a trillion other people to my 'lost cousins' before I was worthy.

I didn't bother. Glad I didn't now if no-one uses it   ???

Massive thumbs up to rootschat forum!  8)
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 January 16 19:36 GMT (UK) »
I was one of those Forum members (I had just over 300 entries on the database) but fell out big-time with some of the posters , though I avoided a slanging match by walking away. I have never "pulled" my account but in the light of this topic I think I now will do so. It has never been of any use in practise as an idea anyway even though the principle was good.

It has to be remembered that it always was a commercial venture from the outset despite any protestations about "community". It has been increasingly so of late and that I feel is the problem.

alanmack
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 January 16 19:47 GMT (UK) »
I've never found the Lost Cousins site much use.  Only ever had 1 year's subscription and that was free from Peter.  Only made contact with the odd couple of people, one of them I'd already had contact with via GR and I only ever heard from the other once as disagreed politely (and it was polite) with something she claimed was correct which all the evidence suggested otherwise. 

Out of curiousity I added a number of extra people to my LC account about a year ago which then provided me with a code to register with the Forum (I think I should have also been invited but he authorised the account anyway).  I've posted a couple of times but to be honest I find it very cliquey and not much help.  The forum has been beta for 2 or 3 years and the "research help" section has not been activated, yet you would think that would encourage people to join as its the most widely used aspect of RC.  And as for the email sent to everyone last year asking for them to albut explain why they weren't using the forum, I did have to resist temptation to post what I really thought was the problem.  After an increase in posts for a week or two, it went back to being its very limited norm.

What amused me was the comment at one point that his Forum was not going to be like others where there are numerous arguements and disagrements, yet, as alanmack has said, that isn't quite how it plays out if you disagree with one of the regulars. ::)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 January 16 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you smudwhisk. It isn't just me then that found it cliquey (and snobbish too). That doesn't go for all the Forum members it must be said, many of whom were identifiably RC members too.

alanmack

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 January 16 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I've been thinking for a few weeks of cancelling my membership to Lost Cousins as I don't like his tone sometimes. That has made up my mind for me.

Thanks for the information Parmesan. I totally agree with groom and have now cancelled my membership.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 January 16 20:27 GMT (UK) »
What a nasty individual he is!  He doesn't deserve any members, like others I don't find his newsletter useful as it contains info which all serious researchers are aware of.  So, what's the point of his site??  Seems it's way past its sell by date.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 January 16 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you smudwhisk. It isn't just me then that found it cliquey (and snobbish too). That doesn't go for all the Forum members it must be said, many of whom were identifiably RC members too.

alanmack

I agree not all members are cliquey and I've noticed the odd frustrated RC member on there.  The problem I think is the size of the membership.  As its very restricted by Peter, the cliquey minority do appear to be the most vocal and I do think are putting off a lot of others, along with the fact that the most used feature on RC, research help, is disabled on there still.  After two or three years, you do wonder why the forum hasn't just been closed down as it must be costing him money to be hosted.  It was a nice idea, but I doubt was ever going to compete against such an established and helpful site as RC.  Yes we do have our public disagreements and arguments at times, but, in light of the vast number of daily posts on here, they are a small minority and overall the majority are helping others or a genuine discussion (albeit sometimes heated).
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 January 16 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I thought it was only me: I have had just 2 occasions in the many years I've been receiving the newsletter where I have sent him a feedback comment via email. On both occasions his replies were terse and rather patronising. So I haven't sent anymore since.

I still read the newsletters as every so often you do get a useful nugget of information (the GRO certificate update is interesting me at the moment) but I've never had contact from anyone about the names I've put into his database.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 January 16 22:06 GMT (UK) »

After two or three years, you do wonder why the forum hasn't just been closed down as it must be costing him money to be hosted.

I don't think cost comes into it as it looks to be part of a hosting business so it is 'in-house'.

alanmack