Author Topic: Mur[e]cock [Moorecock]  (Read 2136 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mur[e]cock [Moorecock]
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 March 18 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with Alan, his surname is Reade rather than Roade.  On the other examples of "o" the letter isn't joined to the next letter but the "e"s are.  Its typical of an "e" for that period.

As to Murcock, you probably already know that Mulcock and Murcot are often inter-used with it.  I've a sideline in Highworth from Little Coxwell.  In the Faringdon records they appear as Murcot and Morcock but subsequently as Mulcock in the Highworth registers and the Wills associated with the family.

Hi

Thanks for that info and confirming the name as Reade. I must admit that Reade was my initial reading of the name but then I wondered if I was wrong lol!

I haven't come across Mulcock and Murcot as variations of the surname so I will keep an eye out for those, as well as Murlcocke and Murcote (I've seen Murcock with and without an 'e').

More for me to ponder here

Matt

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 March 18 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

When I seek help in deciphering I usually produce the image to my desktop and then reduce the size
to about 500 Kbs ( acceptable to Rootschat) before attaching it to my request.

I have always been able to zoom in and see it the contents clearly, despite it appearing in miniature.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 March 18 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

When I seek help in deciphering I usually produce the image to my desktop and then reduce the size
to about 500 Kbs ( acceptable to Rootschat) before attaching it to my request.

I have always been able to zoom in and see it the contents clearly, despite it appearing in miniature.

Alan

Hi Alan

I've just checked the file size of the whole Will and page 1 is 416.2KB and page 2 is 1MB. I also have an inventory which is 466.5KB in size.

I could post the first page of the Will but would need to reduce the file size of the second page and post that as a separate image. Unfortunatly I can't get the second page under 500KB unless I divide it in half as the writing goes very close to the edge. How would you get it reducded in file size?

Matt

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 March 18 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I don't know whether you are using a PC or an iMac.

I'm using the latter and when I double click on an image on my desktop, it opens up in my case with
a "preview app". Going to Tools, drop down to re-size and it should say current size with an option to "Customise" it. Click on custom to reveal various settings and select each one in turn untill you get to a size acceptable to Rootschat.

As an example, I've just d/loaded a page from an original parish register which comes at a size of 2.2MB.  It can safely be reduced down to 435KB which when done looks so small. But you can zoom and still read the contents.
I can't send any images on this forum but can send some with a PM if you wish?

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 March 18 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

I don't know whether you are using a PC or an iMac.

I'm using the latter and when I double click on an image on my desktop, it opens up in my case with
a "preview app". Going to Tools, drop down to re-size and it should say current size with an option to "Customise" it. Click on custom to reveal various settings and select each one in turn untill you get to a size acceptable to Rootschat.

As an example, I've just d/loaded a page from an original parish register which comes at a size of 2.2MB.  It can safely be reduced down to 435KB which when done looks so small. But you can zoom and still read the contents.
I can't send any images on this forum but can send some with a PM if you wish?

Alan

Hi Alan

I use a PC running Windows 10. Would your method work on this?

Interestingly I have now found another connection between the Murcocke and Reade families. I have been looking at a number of Reade Wills in the PCC and there is mention of the Murcocks in the 1613 Will of Robert Reade of Wanbrough. In his Will Robert forgives Thomas Murocke and his son (also named Thomas) a debt which they owe to Robert.

“Item I forgive to Thomas Murcocke the father and Thomas Murcock the son the debt of seven shillings four pence which they owe me”

so it's clear the families knew each other.

I am starting to strongly suspect that Anne Reade was married to Thomas Murcock but I doubt I will find the marriage. There appear to be too many connections between the Murcocke, Reade and Phillips families for it to be a coincidence.

Expect another update later after work......

Matt