Author Topic: Ancestry DNA matches - can they skip a generation?  (Read 11354 times)

Offline RichardK

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA matches - can they skip a generation?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 February 16 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks RPaine - and welcome to RootsChat.

The idea of a flawed false break makes sense. I wonder how common it is that such flaws occur? I suppose there probably isn't enough data out there yet to know.

Thanks
Richard.
Kelly, Birkenhead & Co. Kildare
Marshall, Luton & area
Reid, Co. Kildare & Dublin
Cox, Barnack Northamptonshire
Edwards, Pagham, Sussex & area
Scott, Roxburghshire & Perthshire
Mitchell, Warwickshire
Savage, Hampshire

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 February 16 00:32 GMT (UK) »
You might find the article written on 25 Aug 2015 by Roberta Estes helpful.

http://dna-explained.com/?s=Phasing&submit=Search

Your wife would be able to use Phasing to confirm whether the match is via her mother.

Offline RPaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 February 16 00:53 GMT (UK) »
The false breaks are difficult to identify if you have not tested multiple generations of descendants. A person can do a basic comparison of parent-child.

A mother-child should show as sharing 23 full chromosomes / segments.
A father-daughter should show as sharing 23 full chromosomes / segments.
A father-son should show as sharing 22 full chromosomes / segments. (22 because the will not share the X-chromosome and the y-chromosome is not used in the matching.

If the segment count exceeds the numbers list above it means that the parent or child shows a break or multiple breaks. These false breaks affect the start or stop points for some matches.

I show one break with my eldest son but 2 breaks with my younger son. My wife shows 5 breaks with each son but they are not all the same breaks and some of the breaks are in our son’s Dna (I have tested 2 bloodlines 5 generations deep and 2 bloodlines 4 generations deep which has helped me to see in which person some of the breaks occur.)

In my project about ½ or 2/3 of the project members have one or more false breaks. The different testing companies and their software each handle these a bit differently. Family finder is stringent in reporting breaks, ancestry.com appears to also be stringent, 23andme is a bit more relaxed and ignores some while Gedmatch is more relaxed and ignores many of them.

Dna explained / Robert Estes has used some of my family data for her write-up about the X-chromosome

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 February 16 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Wouldn't the same flawed false break then also show up in the next generation, or do they sometimes disappear?