Author Topic: Royal Naval Patrol vessel ML 237  (Read 1980 times)

Offline petesdragon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Naval Patrol vessel ML 237
« on: Saturday 23 January 16 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I am researching ML 237 from RNPS in which my father served during WW2.
I have found through research some basic detail and a range of anecdotal information.

In particular I am looking for evidence of her service during DDAY. Apparently she was minesweeping in the Canadian sector ( Juno beach I think), when she assisted a Canadian vessel that became ground on a moving sandbank.

There is no factual information around that I can find, only that from the son of a serving (now late) sailor.

My father died 30yrs ago, never mentioned his service, yet I can place him at St Nazaire, D'day (as above) and kiel, when a minesweeper rescued an engineer from the Russians

does anybody have anything please

Offline banouin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Naval Patrol vessel ML 237
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 00:35 BST (UK) »
Did you ever find anything more about this vessel? I've just begun looking into it myself as my wife's grandfather served on ML 237 from December '41 to September '42.

Offline petesdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 June 19 16:28 BST (UK) »
Yes I have gathered some information some fact and some anecdotal.
I have a copy of her 'service record', but it does not show the true story.
She was involved in the St Nazaire raid.
(Anecdotally) I was told by the son of a crew member  that she was involved in dday and saved the lives of a Canadian vessel( PRO shows they where given special leave D day +1 which was VERY unusual.
I have a picture of her if you wish one
She was destroyed in 1952 as a gun target by RN

Hope this helps

Offline banouin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 15:24 BST (UK) »
I'd love anything you have on her. I'd like to see if I can find crew listings, my wife's grandfather was in the RN instead of the RCN as was his choice being from Newfoundland. I'm curious if other Newfoundlanders served with him or if he was on his own. Where did you get the info on serving in the St. Nazaire raid?

Offline petesdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
Much of my research has been thro PRO (public Records office) in Kew... there is not much you have to be a detective to hunt it down also I made contacts in the RN Museum.
You must remember that records were not kept for prosterity but for service activity so what exists is limited and will be official such as deployment records at the time of the war.
I will try and upload some stuff for you..
Are you aware of Swallows nest museum where many records and information are kept - that's the RNPS home.
Much of 237 work was classified so even today it is difficult to get info.

St Nazaire... there is a book written by one of the officers/authors and ML 237 is mentioned - I have the book here somewhere.
Anecdotally she was involved in a spy story,  There is one point in her career when she was badly damaged taking on an eboat  off the coast of Pembrokeshire.
The crew where a special group - do you have any photos? or other data?
My father never spoke of his time as most people didn't...just the odd snip

A weird set of events - my father according to his record served on many ships never settled until ML 237

Years later as an RNR person I worked on may ships and submarines but really liked Ley class minesweepers! the 'modern equivalent of 237!

I will be in touch as soon as I can....you can email me direct ph@richardlawrenceassociates.co.uk

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 June 19 15:47 BST (UK) »
May I ask if you have researched the National Archive pieces ADM199/2562
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11113103
Also the Red List in ADM208
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_srt=3&_cr=adm+208&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

Incidentally, the headquarters of the RNPS was called "Sparrows Nest"
There was an excellent forum concerning RNPS matters. Sadly it seems to have closed.
http://www.harry-tates.org.uk/index.htm

RN ships did not make "crew lists" such as those found for Merchant Navy vessels.
The Logbooks of ML 237 seem to have been destroyed.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline petesdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 June 19 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Seaweed,

Yes some years ago I checked ADM's at PRO; unfortunately the ADm I was after seems to be 'lost at see' I also tried to chase down kippers log... The ADm led me to another set of files about DDay and in there it clearly states that ML 237 was given 'special Leave ' for the work they had undertaken.
A son of a crew member then emailed me to tell me that his father was on 237 and she was involved in this incident in Juno beach....Sadly all other searches including Juno beach museum have turned up little or nothing. I will sometime this year go to IWP where there are many films taken of that day- I might be lucky.

Your correct about Sparrows nest

Also when I visited there some years ago all the personnel where of course aged and they where unable to get volunteers so only opened on the odd occasion.

Offline Fulham Geezer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 February 22 13:45 GMT (UK) »
My Father was the CPO Engineer on ML 237 during the war. I can help with a couple of photographs and information on her D Day support on Juno Beach, and her work in Kiel and Copenhagen. The same model still offer trip for tourist along the river at Dawlish.

Offline Kasanne08

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 January 23 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if anyone is still following this thread but I've just joined the site. My father served on ML 237 during WWII. He was stationed in Kiel for a while afterwards too. One of his prized possessions was a model of the vessel, which I still have if anyone would be interested in a photo. Feel free to ask anything although I was only 14 when my father died so details are a little sketchy. He married my Danish mother in 1946, and they both settled in England for the remainder of their lives. Hope to hear from someone 😊