Author Topic: Where is Crickhowell? Where can I access original images ?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Where is Crickhowell? Where can I access original images ?
« on: Sunday 24 January 16 18:36 GMT (UK) »
HI there
my ancestor Mary Ann Noble b c 1816 gives her place of birth  through the censuses mostly as
"Crickhowell, Monmouthshire".....but I thought Crickhowell was in Brecknock? Or ?
Why would she be so mistaken ? Is there a similar named place in both counties ?

And, unusual for this family, i can't find a baptism which would also help clear things up

Also, I have a transcript for what I believe (well,hope) is her parents' marriage

George Noble married Mary Ann Kirby
12 March 1815 at Llangasty Tal-Y-Llyn (please forgive spelling if incorrect)
Now that is Brecknockshire...isn't it?

Is there anywhere online where I can view the original image? Ancestry/FindMyPast/familysearch only have the transcript. A signature and possible witnesses would help me to lay any doubt to rest...

Going round in circles and grateful for any ideas and help
Rebel

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Crickhowell? Where can I access original images ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 January 16 19:13 GMT (UK) »
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 January 16 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Crickhowell was at one time in Brecknockshire but it later became part of the county of Powys.  Monmouthshire used to be called Gwent.  I don't know if Crickhowell was ever part of Gwent/Monmouthshire.  However, the borders of Powys and Monmouthshire are a couple of miles to the west at the village of Glangrwyney.

Llangasty is in Powys and was in Brecknockshire/Breconshire.  The church there is really beautiful, and stands beside the south-eastern shore of Llangorse Lake.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 January 16 19:41 GMT (UK) »
St Gastyn's Church, Llangasty Tal-y-llyn....
Baptisms 1718-1768, 1770-1990;
Marriages 1718-1971;
Burials 1718-1768, 1770-1991
Parish Registers, or copies, for all or part of these dates are held at the NLW and/or Powys Archives. Bishops Transcripts for various periods are held at the NLW.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 January 16 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou  for your replies.
I see that the Powys library site will perform searches and copy.....they've moved on a bit since when I last visited the site! I just wonder why the Big Three (Ancestry FindMyPast famsearch) all just have transcripts..
Also , whilst having a look at the church online, I realised that it was built after my ancestors marriage in 1815. The area today doesn't look exactly busy, so what would it have been like 200 years ago?
I've been searching this afternoon for an image of the original church but with no success.
If any one should come across one, please send me the link!
Many thanks
Rebel

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I imagine that Llangasty won't have changed a great deal in the last 200 years, other than that the main part of the church was rebuilt in the 1800s.  However, the tower is much earlier so that would have still been the same in 1815.  There was a large estate in the area so it is likely that a lot of the local people would have been employed there.  In fact there are two large houses in Llangasty.   Treberfedd  was built in the mid 19th century for Robert Raikes (who also commissioned the rebuilding of the church).  Further along the lake there is Ty Mawr, parts of which date back to the 16th century, and which would have employed quite a lot of people as the landholding was extensive.  Here are more details about it:  https://www.lime.org.uk/history-of-the-farm/

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk