Author Topic: DEVLIN - BOER WAR Veteran's ancestry vanished?  (Read 3647 times)

Offline mrnz2014

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DEVLIN - BOER WAR Veteran's ancestry vanished?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 January 16 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Ken.

I have been hammering findmypast flat out this last free weekend but no combinations give me a lead.   It doesnt help that there are 8 persons on the BW medal rolls that have the #6356 - non of them a Devlin of course.  The only remarks in the medal rolls were "Transferred to the MR Border Regt" - I have taken this to mean a unit within South Africa ?  There are 27 Devlins listed as having served in SA on the A-BW site - no close or possibly mis-transcribed numbers either.

I am leaning towards the same conclusion re the medal being passed to a relative that came to NZ.  Short of being stolen by someone who resided / or rented / stayed (hence my gum digger comment in the farm house (itremained in the same family for many decades) I can no think how else it arrived their as it is a rather remote location.

It seems too coincidental that there was a concentration of Devlins in the North (and in Dunedin - Andrew Devlins mob) for there not to be a link - maybe I am just willing it so and the medal was bought at an auction or found years ago and somehow wound up in this farmhouse???

Regards, Ian

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 January 16 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Found him - http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo96%2f0627%2f058%2f001&parentid=gbm%2fwo96%2f627%2f1364324 - before you mentioned the Border Regiment.

Anthony Devlin born Newcastle (the UK one). Originally served with the Militia of the Border Regiment. Record shows transferred to Regular forces (East Lancashire Regiment). No date given but on page one of his Militia record it says ELR 6356. Received 5 War Gratuity for service in SA. Discharged September 1902.

FindMyPast have another Anthony Devlin joining the Militia in 1904. DoB is two years out and he claims to have been born in Carlisle. But says previous experience with the Border Regiment, and the first Militia record appears to be saying he was living in Carlisle when he enlisted.

Ken

Offline mrnz2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 January 16 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken - FANTASTIC find, at last light at the end of the tunnel.....   

Can you tell me what "ERL"? and what is the "MR" Border Regiment? (Militia Reserve perhaps?).

Can we now make a connection to a family & New Zealand?

Regards, Ian

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 January 16 08:56 GMT (UK) »
1881 census Carlisle
Carlisle
Shaddongate ?
Michael Devlin, aged 46, cordwainer born Drum Ireland
Mary aged 40,born Ireland
Mary aged 20, daughter born Carlisle
Anthony, aged 4 ,son,born Newcastle
James aged 16, son born Carlisle
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 January 16 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Private Anthony Devlin
West Yorkshire regiment
buried March 6th 1918
Carlisle

Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 January 16 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Just another one to research

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 January 16 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Archways NZ
"Land Tenure Files
Discharged Soldiers Lease - Section 12 Block 14 Opuawhanga, Section 3 Block 4 Opuawhanga, Section 29 Block 12 Opuawhanga, Section 15 Block 13 Opuawhanga - A Devlin   
1917   1924   Department of Survey and Land Information, Auckland District Office            Akld
Discharged Soldiers Lease - Section 12 Block 14 Opuawhanga, Section 3 Block 4 Opuawhanga, Section 29 Block 12 Opuawhanga, Section 15 Block 13 Opuawhanga - A Devlin
1924   1929   Department of Survey and Land Information, Auckland District Office            Akld"

*Opuawhanga between Whananaki and Whakapara

http://atojs.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/atojs?a=d&d=AJHR1930-I.2.3.2.28 A.Devlin at Matapouri Running Sheep

Paperspast Mr Arthur Devlin's Farm at Matapouri
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=NA19250211.2.7

Arthur Devlin of Matapouri Obituary, sons Arthur and Robert, daughters Eva and Mrs Morris http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=NZH19300322.2.147&srpos=1&e=-------10--1----0devlin+matapouri+death--

Born NZ 1873, Arthur Devlin's parents lived at Knaggs Hill, Mangapai

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 January 16 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Second Boer War British Service Register, 1899-1902 (Maybe Anc*stry?)
Alexander Devlin

Was Alexander Devlin son of Patrick the right age to join the Boer War conflict?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline mrnz2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 January 16 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Ken (km1971) has cracked it - we have the correct Devlin and his Attestation papers which confirms the person I am seeking - Private Anthony Devlin, late Border Regiment Militia Reserve & 1st Bn, East Lancashire Regt. 

Anthony Devlin was the son of Michael and Mary (nee Mullen) of Carlisle, Northumberland.  There are three Ancestry trees that may give me a link to a surviving descendant ... Thank you all so very much for your diligence and collective wisdom.  I am sure I will need to contact you again with sticky research from deep in the Antipodes.

Haven't yet got an NZ connection - I am hoping surviving family threads may solve that.

Kind regards,

Ian