Author Topic: Windows 10 Update Problems  (Read 328 times)

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Windows 10 Update Problems
« on: Monday 25 January 16 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Microsoft's ridiculous forced-update policy has got me tearing my hair out ..... and I've not got much to start with  :-[ . It has just done a massive update to Windows 10 on my PC and left it in a real mess, namely :-

- My printer was no loner recognised and had to be re-installed.
- My homegroup disappeared and had to be set-up again.
- My browser was changed from Firefox to Edge.
- My PDF client was changed from Foxit Reader to Edge.
- All my restore points disappeared and there wasn't even one for the update itself.
- All my update history disappeared and not even the killer update itself was mentioned.

Having wasted a lot of time and energy getting my system back to a usable state, I am now seriously considering ditching my Ethernet connection in favour of Wi-Fi. A Wi-Fi connection can be specified as "metered" (i.e. capped) and apparently that prevents automatic updates. For some strange reason Microsoft does not think that an Ethernet connection can be metered. Also, why do they not allow Windows 10 Home users to defer updates, like Windows 10 Pro users can do?

Is anyone else having similar problems with Windows 10 updates and if so, do you have any suggestions for preventing such problems?
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)