Author Topic: Marriage certificate for Thomas Kavanagh only so is it possible to find him?  (Read 14264 times)

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage certificate only so is it possible to find him?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 January 16 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks indeed. The father's name was John, mother Catherine and sons Thomas and John.
I am not trying to be unfair to anyone - really I am not, I am simply trying to eliminate all the confusion that seems to have arisen from my posts - that's all.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 January 16 22:40 GMT (UK) »
You could order the THOMAS CAVANAGH birth registered in Stockton in Dec quarter 1864 from the GRO specifying you only want it if the parents details match. http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

If you apply online, say 'no' to the question about the reference but enter 1864 and Stockton and the parents names and they'll search 1863 to 1865 OR ring them and ask them if they'll look for that Dec quarter 1864 birth (I think it's called a reference search), giving them the quarter and parents names.

It's worth remembering tat if you apply online asking them to look for Cavanagh, they'll only send it to you if they find Cavanagh - they won't look for Kavanagh or other variations. Personally, I'd ring them. 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 January 16 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I suggested that in reply 12.  :)

You know that the father's name was Thomas and, according to the 1871 and 1881 censuses the mother's name was Catherine. Have you asked Stockton R.O. to check that 1864 birth for those christian names and NOTHING ELSE? Adding in occupations and places of birth which have come from later documents is a slightly dodgy move - they might not be the same on the birth cert.

Please see eyshames reply #13  :)

yes I contacted the Stockton reg office and the Durham office and the Stockport office all with out success.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 January 16 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I don't know the area and assumed they referred to the local records offices not the GRO.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 25 January 16 23:15 GMT (UK) »
This is likely to have been suggested on previous threads, but if you order online via the GRO website and specify only the father's name, if this does not match, your money will be refunded, so you will not be out of pocket.

If that happens, you can try reordering with for example, mother's name only, and so on, using a process of elimination.

As already pointed out, they won't issue the certificate if only one thing does not fit in with what you have specified, eg, spellings slightly different. That is why the less information given is generally better. You need to use the exact spellings and details as given in the GRO index even if you believe them to be wrong.

Good luck.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 08:49 GMT (UK) »
I don't know the area and assumed they referred to the local records offices not the GRO.

No, I'm sure eyshame was referring to Stockton, and Durham Register Offices and by Stockport meant the GRO  :)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Ordering a birth certificate from the GRO without using a reference number but stating his parents names is the best way to go forward at this stage. It does take longer, about 15 working days compared to 5, but if the GRO find any possible entries and the information doesn't match you will get a refund.

However, as the birth was beforew 1874, there is a chance it wasn't registered.

Catholic baptisms are difficult to find as very few of them are online and most registers remain with the church.

There's a list of churches here, you could work through them to try and find which ones were open in the 1860's

http://www.rcdhn.org.uk/churches07/churchtowns.php

As to deleting the topics, Rootschat policy is not to do that unless there are serious breaches of copyright or requests for information on living people.

It's amazing how many people find old topics on here through internet search engines and make contact with distant relatives.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 10:19 GMT (UK) »
There's a list of churches here, you could work through them to try and find which ones were open in the 1860's

http://www.rcdhn.org.uk/churches07/churchtowns.php

Hi Dawn, on this subject please see the posts by Stan and myself here   :) http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=702836.msg5804553#msg5804553

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage certificate for Thomas Kavanagh only so is it possible to find him?
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 12:05 GMT (UK) »
just googled Spennymoor area for RC churches.

the parish of St Charles was established c1858 at Tudhoe. 
address; St. Charles Rd., Spennymoor  DL16 6JY     

apologies if this has been mentioned previously but it may help a baptism search. We had a similar problem with an RC ancestor who was baptised but apparently not registered.