Author Topic: croft baker maternity home  (Read 7421 times)

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
croft baker maternity home
« on: Monday 25 January 16 19:45 GMT (UK) »
I am helping a friend with her family tree. Does anyone know anything about Croft baker maternity home in Cleethorpes. My friend was born in 1965 and the certificate was issued on the day she was born but apparently her mother was very ill and she cant understand how the certificate was typed and her mother had provided the information in person.

Does anyone know if an individual was adopted what would be the process.

Would another birth certificate be issued on the same day in a different name.

There may be a simple explanation for all of this so does anyone know who we could contact to ask about their records

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: croft baker maternity home
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 January 16 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Was the date of birth the same as the date of registration? A typed copy is usually issued at a later date, often years alter, which will be noted below.

In 1979 (the date of our firstborn, not in Lincs) the registrar visited the maternity hospital once a week and you could register it then.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 January 16 21:01 GMT (UK) »
yes the date of registration was the same as the date of birth.

Does this mean that it is probable that child was born, registered in the home and then the original was sent at a later date with original details entered

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 16 21:24 GMT (UK) »
What is the date of issue given underneath the "box"?

Looking at my certificates, I only seem to have one "original" birth cert issued on the day of registration (in 1954) and it happens to be typed, so I've really no idea about these things. Sorry  :-\
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 January 16 23:47 GMT (UK) »

Does anyone know if an individual was adopted what would be the process.

Would another birth certificate be issued on the same day in a different name.

If an individual was adopted another birth cert would NOT be issued on the same day in a different name - in fact if an individual were adopted another birth certificate would never be issued -what would be issued is an adoption certificate - but that would be after a period of time
I think there is a 6 week period during which the adoption  is reassessed and then again after 3 months (I think) when the case is heard before a judge (usually heard in the judges chambers rather than in the main court. After this the adoption certificate is issued which gives the adoptive parents names as mother and father, the child's new name, child's original d.o.b. and p.o.b. There is no reference to the original name or birth registration. A shortened form of this certificate looks very similar to a shortened form of an original birth certificate. The original birth registration stays on record as it was when recorded but does not link to the new certificate - at least not to the public.
The origial birth may have been registered in the home/hospital and the certificate typed out at a later time. The date of registration would be the date the registrar entered the birth in records

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mulberryhouse40

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 00:30 GMT (UK) »
thanks Geoff-E and Suz.......that was a great help and has answered many questions....if anyone knows anything about Croft Baker Maternity Home ...would love to find out more.

thanks

Gill

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Croft Baker Maternity Home opened 1929 as Cleethorpes maternity Home - the home was a gift from Alderman Mrs Croft Baker (think her forename was Ada) she also sold property next door (The Rookery) in 1944 tp form an annex to this building
Think it was named as Croft Baker Maternity home in early 1960's on Mrs croft bakers 90th birthday
It closed in early 1980's and services transferred to Grimsby Maternity Home

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 01:23 GMT (UK) »
at one time Henry Croft baker and wife Ada and 7 children lived at "The Rookery" Mill Rd Cleethorpes and next door at "The Mount" lived William Grant and 12 children.
Both Henry Croft baker and William Grant were Steam Trawler Owners.

Probate
Henry Croft Baker of the Rookery Mill Road Cleethorpes Lincolnshire died 31 May 1928 Probate London 12 Oct to Ada baker, widow
Effects £128893 6s 10d

Suz