Author Topic: Service record Peter Warburton mcafee  (Read 885 times)

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Service record Peter Warburton mcafee
« on: Monday 25 January 16 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find any service related documents available online for Peter Warburton Mcafee. Born 1869 Macroon, Cork, Ireland enlisted Lancashire.
1991 census occupation Soldier 2nd D.G.r or s? What regiment could this be? Dragoon Guards? He fought in the Boer War and had strong links to Ireland given the symbols he stitched on sampler during this period. Rumour has it he lied about his age and enlisted using his mother's maiden name. He had brothers, a father and grandfather who were all soldiers. I cant find any records online but know they do exist as a now deceased relative had them in their possession. Can anyone help me find them (thinking outside box now).

Thank you

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Service record Peter Warburton mcafee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 08:43 GMT (UK) »
What was his mother's maiden name? I cannot find a Peter Warburton or McAfee on the Boer War medal rolls for Regular cavalry.

How do you know he enlisted in Lancashire? The 2nd Dragoon Guards were in India in 1891. But they would have kept a Depot in the UK. What do you know about his location in 1891?

In 1901 he is living in Holborn with his elder brother, both born Ireland. Peter is aged 31, a soldier in the 2nd DGrds (so 2nd Dragoon Guards). Maybe on furlo and about to be discharged. He is single

Ken

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

His mother's maiden name was Warburton.

I have a vague recollection that he may have enlisted as Peter Warburton.

I can't find him on the 1891 census and it's therefore possible that he was in India at that time. His father died in 1886.

Yes he was living with his brother John who had also been a soldier but by 1901 had left the army. John's attestation dates from 1882, Liverpool. when at the age of 17 he joined Royal Artillery. He served in India in 1883-1890.(lahore, amritsar, barackpur)

Their father John Mcafee  (RA Gunner) moved from Macroom after 1875..... And later lived in Liverpool. There were other relatives living in the area (Lancashire).

I know the 4th (Irish royals) Dragoon Guards were one of the cavalry regiments at the time of the South African wars. Could he have been moved from 2nd DG?

Jules

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I've just read that the 2nd Dragoon Guards did fight in South Africa arriving in 1901. However the sampler I have is dated 1900 but maybe this was to mark the new century rather than the date of arrival or conflict.

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Finally I've found P. Mcafee on the South Africa campaign medal roll...2nd battalion royal Irish rifles. It must be him.  Maybe he was never in 2nd DG?

They sailed Oct 1899.

It's probably no coincidence that his son joined the London Irish Rifles in WW2.

It would be nice to find he service record somewhere. To piece all of this together.

Jules

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Apologies I'm drip feeding this info.

The royal Irish rifles completed 16 years of service overseas (india), returned from Poona 1899, short stop Belfast, before being mobilised for service in South Africa 1899.

The sampler includes a clover and thistle which matches with Royal Irish enblem.

It's therefore possible that the 1901 census entry could be wrong...rather illegible...because it's not 2nd DG but 2nd RIR.

Jules

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 21:39 GMT (UK) »
...because it's not 2nd DG but 2nd RIR.

Have to disagree. 2nd RIRifles were in South Africa. Depot in Ireland.

Ken

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 January 16 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes agree the entry on the census record suggests 2nd DG... But the dates and the other documents (medal awards) suggest 2nd Irish Rifles. Maybe there was a mistake in info written down in census? Unless of course there was another P Mcafee in 2nd Btln Irish Rifles.

The regimental number for P Mcafee was 5805 in IR. Maybe a lead to investigate?

Offline Jules1066

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 February 16 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I’ve finally found the attestation and statement of service papers

A search of WO 97/5378 1900-1913 (Findmypast)

He attested under the alias  'Peter Cain', lied about his name, age, father’s name and place of birth.

Attestation 6th Inniskilling Dragoons on 28 May 1889 at Liverpool.
He later transferred to 2nd Dragoon Guards (1891); he saw time in India & Egypt (1891-1895)
Later recalled to 6th Dragoon Guards Jan 1900 and served in South Africa until Dec 1900.

His papers were updated later when he had to claim his pension and although the correct name is written on the papers, the index has not been updated.