Author Topic: Tracing Mrs Ruth Thatcher (nee Irving)  (Read 1278 times)

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing Mrs Ruth Thatcher (nee Irving)
« on: Tuesday 26 January 16 10:55 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for this ladies descendants for many years, and have recently had a bit of a breakthrough in finding her married name, and then subsequently her death in Port Townsend, Jefferson, Washington in 2002.  I know that she had 2 children.  I am really keen to find them, or their offspring and wondered if there is any way of finding her last address in Port Townsend in 2002?  I have her social security number, and can apply for the record, but I'm not sure how useful it will be.
I have personal letters pertaining to this ladies past that her descendants would be keen to see.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Mrs Ruth Thatcher (nee Irving)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 11:06 GMT (UK) »
This has a Port Townsend address for her - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K151-B7S

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
That is phenomenally helpful - thanks so much!

Offline mineraljones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 20:27 BST (UK) »
I was a neighbor of Ruth Irving Thatcher and her husband Dr. Jonathan Skiles Thatcher in Tehama County, California.  I also knew their son Jonathan George Thatcher.   Their daughter had died by the time I knew them.  I have obit of Ruth's mother who died in Claremont California May 1969 and was buried in their former hometown of Chatham New Jersey.  Ruth's father was Reverend George Irving.  Can I be of some assistance?  How do you know the Thatcher or Irving families?

Offline mineraljones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 00:21 BST (UK) »
Here is the obituary for Mrs. Ruth Irving Thatcher's brother Frank from the Bay Area Reporter in San Francisco, CA.  I hope you find it helpful.

Frank Irving [1916 —1999]

Frank Irving, 83, ended his long and valiant battle with cancer on November 23,1999, in Palm Springs. Frank had lived in San Francisco for 20 years before he moved to Palm Springs in 1992. He was born April 14,1916, in Canada. His parents were the Rev. and Mrs. George Irving of Summit, New Jersey. Frank had retired as an overseas personnel manager for Morrison- Knudsen in construction projects around the world. After his retirement he served as a volunteer office manager for the late Rev. Jim Sandmire in the Golden Gate Metropolitan Community Church office in San Francisco. Frank was a World War II veteran of the U.S. Army. While he was with Morrison-Knudsen he was sent to Saigon during the Vietnam War. Frank’s stories of wartime “after hours” life in London and Saigon were fascinating. Frank was a member of the Episcopal Church of St. Paul in the Desert in Palm Springs, and attended Metropolitan Community Church of the Coachella Valley after that church began in Palm Springs.

Frank is survived by his sister, Ruth Thatcher, a long-time resident of Red Bluff, California and now a resident of Port Townsend, Washington. Frank is also survived by his extended family in Palm Springs, including Larry Hughes, Cary Owen, Robert “Bob” Harrison, and John Wahl.

A memorial service was held at St. Paul of the Desert Episcopal Church on December 4,1999. Frank’s ashes were interred in a niche at the church.

Memorial donations may be made to the Cancer Screening Fund of the Desert Business Association Foundation, 1069 South Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, California 92264.

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 08:48 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks so much for getting in touch.  However did you find this post?  The obituary for Frank is so detailed and fills in some of the gaps I had about him.  Anything you can tell me about Ruth would be so helpful to me.  How well did you know Ruth? Did you know much about her earlier life - as to why she and Frank were born in Canada?
Since making the post I have managed to track down Ruth's daughter's daughter, but if you were a friend of Ruth you may know more about her (having known her as an adult).
My connection with Ruth and Frank is unexpected, but I am related.  I shall see if I can message you directly rather than on this public post.  Any info you have would be fascinating for me.

Offline mineraljones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 22:41 BST (UK) »
Ruth's father, Rev. George Irving, died in Lac Marion [French for Lake Marion] Ontario Canada in 1943 at age 66 of a heart attack.  So they possibly maintained a 3rd residence besides the Summit, NJ and Claremont, CA homes.  Ruth's mother was Christine King Irving -- sent you her 1969 obit which only identified her as Mrs. George Irving.   
What is Ruth's daughter's daughter's name and where does she live?  I was actually unaware of her existence as I never met Ruth's daughter Christine [named for her maternal grandmother] before she died in 1980.  Have things I would like to share  with Ruth's grand-daughter directly.

Ruth's son George [name at birth is Jonathan George Thatcher] born in Columbus, Ohio in 1944 was around more at the family home during time in Tehama County than their daughter was.  Ruth's husband, Dr. Jonathan Skiles Thatcher died in 1985 and I believe it was after that Ruth and George moved to Port Townsend, WA.  Dr. Thatcher had worked at the University of Washington in 1950 so they must have still had friends there.  Last I heard, George was living in Hope, Idaho.  He has many Tehama County friends who would love to reconnect with him.  Did Ruth's grand-daughter mention him or how to get in touch with him at all?
I came across this web site as I collect history on the area we lived in Tehama County and your entry popped up.  Interesting, because I have being doing such research for years and did not know this site even existed.
Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Offline mineraljones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 21:16 BST (UK) »
Here is a book about Ruth Irving Thatcher's father the Rev. George Irving, Doctor of Divinity, that is the property of Yale University.  I have as yet to find any physical copies of the book available online.  The author David Richard Porter (1882-1973) donated all his writing to Yale University at his death.

Title:The Life Work of George Irving : experiences in witnessing for Christ / edited by David R. Porter.
Published/Created:New York : Association Press, c1945.
Physical Description:viii, 146 p. ; 21 cm.
Yale University Holdings Call Number: WM33 Ir8 XL62