Author Topic: James Warrell (b. late 1700's (1785?) in Co. Donegal, Ireland)  (Read 622 times)

Offline mswebb88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Warrell (b. late 1700's (1785?) in Co. Donegal, Ireland)
« on: Tuesday 26 January 16 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I am actively searching for more information about James Warrell. I know he was born in Co. Donegal, Ireland, probably around the Convoy area. I believe he would have been born around 1785 or so. I have not been able to find any information on his parents. I know he was married to Sarah Wilson, and left for the States sometime around 1825. Most of the information that I know is from the following page:

http://www.chartiers.com/beers-project/articles/warrell-1211.html

Any other information would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Warrell (b. late 1700's (1785?) in Co. Donegal, Ireland)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
I see from the link he attended the Presbyterian Church
The person who compiled these records may know if there is any earlier.

There is one Warrell on there, may be related.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Oct 3 1832 is interesting, it has Wilson Warrell connection.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/convoybmdnotices.htm

Offline mswebb88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 23:46 GMT (UK) »
He was still in Convoy in 1822
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/convoycen.htm

Wow! Such great info, thank you so much! Looks like we may have some pretty colorful characters back in the family tree!

Offline mswebb88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 13:16 GMT (UK) »
After taking a minute to look at the info, David Warrell (the one accused of killing), isn't a son of either James Warrell or Sarah Wilson (my 4th great grandparents), so these two families must have had even deeper ties, and perhaps several family members married to each other. Thank you again Sinann for finding that tidbit!!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Some Warrell's clearly stayed in Convoy, I see a Thomas Warrill with son David in 1822 in Convoy, this is likely a typo or the original was difficult to read. (Also a son George, think he may have died)
If this is the David who killed Wilson, than his father Thomas and your James could be brothers or such.

Your biggest problem is the lack of records before c1820, there isn't even Tlthe Applotment records for Convoy.

Offline mswebb88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Some Warrell's clearly stayed in Convoy, I see a Thomas Warrill with son David in 1822 in Convoy, this is likely a typo or the original was difficult to read. (Also a son George, think he may have died)
If this is the David who killed Wilson, than his father Thomas and your James could be brothers or such.

Your biggest problem is the lack of records before c1820, there isn't even Tlthe Applotment records for Convoy.

Exactly. I assumed that Thomas and James were probably brothers, but as you said the lack of records certainly makes that a murky assumption at best. Add to that the variations of the spelling of the name, and its tough. Even after moving over here to the states, that name in different branches of the family, changed spellings either by typo's or something. I did find some other records of Warrell's still in Convoy as late as 1845, so who knows, perhaps there are still some there today. The real reason I was investigating this was to see if the Warrell's were actually even Irish, or if they came from Scotland, as my hunch tells me. And if so, how long were they in Ireland? All things are hard to say for sure. Perhaps this warrants an investigative trip to Convoy??? LOL