Author Topic: Bennetts of Shaftesbury  (Read 2437 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Bennetts of Shaftesbury
« on: Thursday 28 January 16 00:58 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone can possibly help me uncover some information about my Bennett ancestors in Shaftesbury during the 18th century.

My ancestor the Rev Narcissus Ryall (Rector of East Lydford) was married to Frances Durnford in Shaftesbury on 4 September 1783.

Frances Durnford's parents were Samuel Durnford (a maltster) and Frances Bennett who were themselves married in Shaftesbury in October 1758.

I've been researching the Ryalls and Durnfords for three years now but haven't found anything about Frances Bennett - until now

I have recently been looking at the resources on Ancestry relating to Dorset, particularly the Wills. Whilst looking for any Bennett references in this I came across the following will: Barnaby Bonnett 1762 Shaftesbury.

This was interesting as Samuel and Frances named their second son Barnaby Bennett Durnford, and two later children were also given the middle name Bennett. Given that Barnaby is quite a distinctive name I wondered if there was a connection. Looking through the Will (and the Will of his sister) it is clear that there is a connection.

In his will Barnaby Bennett (describing himself as "Barnaby Bennett, gent") mentions the following people:

"my nephew William Bennett son of my brother William Bennett and Grace his wife"
"my niece Frances Durnford wife of Samuel Durnford of Shaftesbury"
"my sister Mary the wife of Thomas Hamilton"
"my good friend and acquaintance John Bennett of Shaftesbury aforesaid, Attorney at Law"
"William Hammond of Shaftesbury aforesaid in the said County of Dorset, clerk"
"Barnaby Bennett Durnford son of Samuel Durnford of Shaftesbury aforesaid, maltster"
"Samuel Durnford another son of the aforesaid Samuel Durnford [the father]"

Barnaby Bennett's will was written on 11 October 1762 and the executors are named as William Hammond and John Roberts Everett. I hadn't realised it until I looked at my Durnford tree today but one of the witnesses to the marriage of Samuel Durnford and Frances Bennett was - John Roberts Everett!! Also the first two children of Samuel Durnford and Frances Bennett were christened Samuel Durnford (born 1759) and Barnaby Bennett Durnford (born 1762).

As mentioned Barnaby's sister Mary Bennett was married to Thomas Hamilton when Barnaby wrote his will. Samuel and Frances Durnford also used the name Hamilton as a middle name for two sons (both named Thomas Hamilton Durnford, the first born 1769 died bef 1774, the second born 1774 died 1822). Mary Hamilton (nee Bennett) died in 1781 and wrote her will in April 1766 in which she describes herself as "Mary Hamilton wife of Thomas Hamilton of the parish of Holy Trinity in Shaston in the County of Dorset, Gentleman". In the will Mary mentions the following people:

"Elizabeth Hamilton my said husband's daughter" (making me think she wasn't Mary's daughter)
"my nephew William Bennett" (almost the same William as described in Barnaby's will)

"Frances Durnford and Mary Durnford daughters of my kinsman Samuel Durnford and Frances his wife". Well as mentioned above Samuel Durnford was married to Frances Bennett and they did have daughters named Frances and Mary (although the Mary on my tree was christened in October 1766 so there may have been another older daughter named Mary who died).

She also appoints Frances Durnford wife of Samuel Durnford "sole Executrix" of her will.

I have also found an Administration for the goods of "Benjamin Bennett of Shaston, clerk" which was administered by "William Bennett, butcher/baker, and Barnaby Bennett, glover" who are described as his "natural and lawful brothers"

The first thing I'd like to establish is who were the parents of Frances Bennett, was she another child of William and Grace for example? She is not described as his daughter (only as Barnaby's "niece" - could she be another child of William and Grace, or possibly Benjamin Bennett's daughter)

Also I'd like to know more about John Bennett who is described as Barnaby's
"good friend and acquaintance" and "Attorney at Law". I suspect they are related but how? Could they be cousins? Where could I find out more information about John and his career?

There are so many links between these two Wills and my Durnford/Bennett tree that I'm hoping the info here will allow me to explore the Bennett line more and establish who the parents of Frances were. There is also a Will for a John Bennett, Gent, dated 1720 (probate: 14 April 1720) but I haven't worked out how he is connected to the others yet.

The Bennetts were obviously educated people as they all signed their Wills (the originals for Barnaby, John, and the Administration of Benjamin, are all on Ancestry, as is Mary Hamilton's Will which was proved in the PCC in London). Also Barnaby and John both left seals next to their signatures.

If anyone can help me identify the parents of Frances Bennett, Barnaby Bennett, or can help me with any of the questions or points on here I would really appreciate it. Hope someone can help with this. Please PM me if you have any questions.

Many Thanks
Matthew

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bennetts of Shaftesbury
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 16 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I think I have found out who Barnaby's parents were as I have located the will of Peter Bennett who mentions his son William and Barnaby and daughter Mary. I've also located a number of other wills which look like they may be for related people. Overall the Bennetts seem to have been quite well off and the wills are quite long and provide a lot of detailed info. I'll post a breakdown of the others on here once I've read through them but I may have also found wills for Peter's parents, brothers, and Barnaby's cousin.

Matt

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 January 16 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I've found the baptisms for Peter and Mary 's children  at Shaftesbury St James.
Peter 10.4.1701,John 30.6.1702-9.6.1703,Mary 27.12.1703, John 2.11.1705,Christian 27.5.1707-25.10.1710,Benjamin 8.3.1708,William 9.4.1711,Christian 7.5.1713 Barnabus 29.10.1714 and Dolly 9.1.1716-3.7.1717.

It looks like William and Grace had twins at Corfe Castle -17.6.1733 William and Grace and it seems Grace their mother may have died soon after.

Frances looks like she was baptised at Wyke Regis 11.7.1739 to William Bennett and Mary Frampton.The actual record however does say son of William and Mary Frampton and it's the only one I can see.But there's a burial for Francis Nov 1745
There is also a  burial for a Grace Bennets buried in woolen by Mary Bennets at Corfe Castle 26.4.1787 which seems strange,who is Mary?
The son William Bennett junior was buried there 8.3.1812 age 79 years but no sign of dad.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 January 16 16:12 GMT (UK) »
If you look on the Dorset OPC you will see that at least two of the male Bennetts owned land-one had 1 acre and the other had 4 acres.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 16 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I've found the baptisms for Peter and Mary 's children  at Shaftesbury St James.
Peter 10.4.1701,John 30.6.1702-9.6.1703,Mary 27.12.1703, John 2.11.1705,Christian 27.5.1707-25.10.1710,Benjamin 8.3.1708,William 9.4.1711,Christian 7.5.1713 Barnabus 29.10.1714 and Dolly 9.1.1716-3.7.1717.

It looks like William and Grace had twins at Corfe Castle -17.6.1733 William and Grace and it seems Grace their mother may have died soon after.

Frances looks like she was baptised at Wyke Regis 11.7.1739 to William Bennett and Mary Frampton.The actual record however does say son of William and Mary Frampton and it's the only one I can see.But there's a burial for Francis Nov 1745
There is also a  burial for a Grace Bennets buried in woolen by Mary Bennets at Corfe Castle 26.4.1787 which seems strange,who is Mary?
The son William Bennett junior was buried there 8.3.1812 age 79 years but no sign of dad.

Ciderdrinker

Hi

Thanks for those. I found them on the Dorset OPC website yesterday. Also I found quite a lot more wills for the Bennetts on Ancestry which have proved useful. All of these PR entries are useful as well. I've also found information on Benjamin Bennett in the Clergy of the Church of England database online. I have quite a bit of info now so hopefully I can put a family tree together.

The Frances born in Wyke Regis could well be mine. I will look into that more. The burial in 1745 looks like it's for a male from the spelling of 'Francis' (as opposed to the feminine Frances).

If William and Grace had twins, and then Grace died soon after, then it could well be that William married a second time and Mary Frampton was his second wife. That would fit with all the information I have.

I'll go back to the parish register entries, transcripts, and wills and see if I can find any info on William, Grace and Mary.

Thanks again

Matt
Willi

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 January 16 18:42 GMT (UK) »
If you look on the Dorset OPC you will see that at least two of the male Bennetts owned land-one had 1 acre and the other had 4 acres.
regards.

Hi thanks for those. I have found all the Bennett baptisms, marriages and burials on the OPC site but I didn't know about those bits you mentioned. I have also found several instances of the Bennetts in Chancery records plus more wills so hopefully I can build a tree from these.

Many thanks again
Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 January 16 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Ciderdrinker

I've found the entry for Frances on the Dorset OPC website. It reads:

"Frances bastard  son of William BENNETT & Mary FRAMPTON  baptised 11-Jul 1739"

As this is a transcript, could it have been transcribed wrong? Should it perhaps read "bastard daughter"? Alternatively if it is a son should the entry read "Francis bastard son of William....."?#

As for the Francis who was buried in 1745 there is no indication that this was a child so I am inclined to think this is an adult but I might be wrong.

I'll go back to the original parish registers etc to see if I can identify the parents of Frances. Given that she is Barnaby's niece she must be a daughter of one of his brothers (unless she was an illegitimate daughter of a sister) the question is, was her father William, Benjamin or John?

Matt

Offline larrytreadgold

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 February 18 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi: do you have proof that Frances Durnford the daughter was to whom Narciccus Ryal was married. Could it be that Frances was nee Bennett first married to Samuel Durnford. If you have access to the Banns it might confirm. Larry

Offline vswank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 January 20 03:34 GMT (UK) »
MattD30, I am also a descendant of Frances Bennett who married Samuel Durnford through their daughter Frances Durnford who married Rev. Narcissus Ryall.  I am very intrigued by what I have read in your posts on the Bennett/Durnford/Ryall families.  Also, Frances Ryall daughter of Narcissus and Frances Ryall married James Taylor who is the son of Thomas Taylor and Hannah Butt of Gillingham, Dorset.  Reading some of your other posts I noticed you mentioned some of Narcissus and Frances' children had Butt as a middle name.  Is it possible that there is more of a connection in our families and the Butt families than what we are currently seeing? 

I look forward to hearing from you pertaining to our family connection.

Vicki