Author Topic: Abraham family  (Read 1882 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 January 16 06:23 GMT (UK) »
I posted the following on one of Jack's other current threads....   
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=740159.0
(oops  ::) I missed, too many windows open)
http://www.slwa.wa.gov.au/pdf/katitjinsep03.pdf   This pdf is 92 pages and is a guide to Indigenous records in the Battye Library, Perth WA.   It is in two parts.   Part two is the 'Researchers Kit' commencing at page 32, and is full of live links. 
There are "Private Archives" and these are different from State Records Office holdings.  I have only 'skimmed' through these 92 pages, but at page 11 I read

There is a clear distinction between the material held in the Battye Library and the State Records Office, but confusion can be caused as both organisations hold, for example, birth indexes and records of organisations such as Sister Kate’s. When perusing old guides and references it should be borne in mind that all accession numbers belonging to the Private Archives Collection of the Battye Library end with the letter ‘A’ and those without an ‘A’ denote SRO material.  For example:

ACC3769A Biographical information on Aboriginal people is held in Battye Library, Private
Archives Collection
but
ACC738/5 Derby Police Station. Occurrence Book 1888-89, is held by the State Records
Office
MN1406 (various ACC numbers, for example ACC4123A). Daisy Bates collection (1907-1940)
anthropologist and social worker who spent 30 years living with Aboriginal people in South
and Western Australia and recorded their languages and customs. This collection is held in
Battye Library Private Archives
but
AN24 ACC1023. Daisy Bates Departmental files (1904-1911) detailing her work as an
anthropologist employed by the State Government, is held by the State Records Office.

Cheers,  JM

Also I think the resource that is coming online via Trove should be very helpful to Jack on all these current threads

Now there's more at TROVE  :)

http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/news-and-events/news/aiatsis-trove  media release AIATSIS on Trove
Monday, 25 January 2016 -
Around 60,000 records released via Trove.  These records are important for family history research, native title claims and the establishment of keeping places in remote communities.

Read more on the NLA's Trove blog.

https://www.nla.gov.au/blogs/trove/2016/01/19/aiatsis-on-trove

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline AustraliaJack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 January 16 08:08 GMT (UK) »
yes iv read the history about him but need to find a birth cert or death cert  any to do with dilyan and jack or didong abraham
some family member say there are the same person from the pinjarra battle which is funny because that would make didong and dilyun the same person and aged to be about 130 years of age my thinking is that their father and son i have been on trove for the passed 2 years looking for anything new then what i have already found on trove he is named as dillion and other variations of his name in the wandering and williams area of wa the im 80% sure the link below is about him the lady in the link name wagin/kwenen is also sarah corrup or sarah abraham

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/82436680?searchTerm=tommy%20bardell&searchLimits=l-state=Western+Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 January 16 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

That's a link to a digitised newspaper article, but I was wondering if you have accessed the 60,000 records that AIATSIS released on Trove last Monday, (25 January 2016). 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Fremantle Herald

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, I came across this discussion while doing some research and thought you might be interested in a snippet about Didong Abraham. It's an interview with Howard Sattler, though I don't know the date. It discusses the Pinjarra massacre and raises the possibility of a second massacre in the area, or also - given Didong's age at the time of the interview - potentially him recalling a first-hand account of the massacre given to him as a youngster which he now recalls as his own memory. Either is a fascinating prospect. This forum won't let me post an image, but it contains a photo of Jack and the text reads:
"OLD MAN DIDONG"
by HOWARD SATTLER
"We was out after rabbits along creek, when we hear shots up near bridge. We look round bend and see lotsa black fellas lying there on the ground.
"We plenty scared and we got out of there quick and run away to Pingelly."
Old "Didong" turned the logs on the fire he had lit outside his native reserve house before 5 am and talked about the day when he and his boyhood mate ran all the way from Pinjarra to Pingelly.
His description of the massacre which preceded it fits that of the famous Battle of Pinjarra when an 'official' party of whites armed themselves and shot down dozens of almost defenceless natives ... except that it took place almost 140 years ago and Didong (Jack Abraham) is only 108!
The horrific experience which planted itself in the young boy's mind was never recorded, and the culprits went unpunished.
With Jack (he doesn't know why he's called Didong) seeing out his twilight years in the harsh conditions of the Pinjarra Native Reserve, their reputations will probably go untarnished.
One of five children, Jack was born in the Dale River district, near Brookton, and grew up to a life of servility under the early white settlers in the South West.
His cracked, garbled voice could recall little of the Great War and his complete lack of memory of World War II was testimony to his age.
Another is his memory of Pinjarra before its church was constructed about 100 years ago.
The ancient face which has watched the loss of pride of the Aborigines since his childhood days sits atop a figure which is as trim as it was 75 years ago.
"It's the devil of a life that's kept me going," he croaked, then mimicked a kookaburra when he gauged the gullibility of his audience, which included several of his great-grandchildren.
Apart from the handed-out service station shirt he sports proudly, Jack, with broad-brimmed hat added, is still every wiry inch a bushman.
His culinary inadequacies (his old stove has not felt a flame for several years) are supplemented by the meals he receives from his neighbours.
Though his relatives tell Jack he is a great-grandfather, he is unable to recognise if any, or all of the children on the reserve, are his descendants.
But he still talks vaguely about the two wives he has had and who have long since passed away.