Author Topic: Old Craes Langton  (Read 1186 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Craes Langton
« on: Friday 29 January 16 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My 2xgreat grandmother was Sibbella Waite. The trouble is that over the years both of her names have been written in many different ways and so she is difficult to pin down. She was married in Langton and in the 1841 census her mother Esther Wait and siblings Sarah and Mathew were living at Old Craes, Langton.
Langton seems to be a small place in 1841 but I can't work out if Old Craes is a house, a farm or an area ...
I am hoping that if I work this out I will have a fighting chance of finding out where and when her parents and siblings died.
Any help would be great, thanks
Alison

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Old Craes Langton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 January 16 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison ,

Can't see Old Craes marked on a map but going by the Census addresses it seems to be part of Middlefield or close by.
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.7541&lon=-2.3478&layers=168

Was Esther Waite(nee Cummings ?) married to Mathew Waite ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 January 16 10:13 GMT (UK) »
The Borders Family History Society page for Langton list Old Craes between Middlefield and Whitehall on the 1841 census and by 1851 the name has shortened to Craes http://www.bordersfhs.org.uk/langton.asp

The National Library of Scotland maps for the area show a property or row called Crease between Whitehall and Middlefield??  http://maps.nls.uk/view/74426544#zoom=4&lat=2970&lon=9637&layers=BT   Close up http://maps.nls.uk/view/74939778#zoom=4&lat=7302&lon=6089&layers=BT

Kay

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 January 16 10:14 GMT (UK) »
I think a misspelling of Crease, just North East of Middlefield.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.7552&lon=-2.3439&layers=5

1841 census: Langton, Gavinton, Haininrigg, Choicelee, Polwarth Toll, Woodend, Lady Flat, Girtrig, Middlefield, Old Craes, Whitehill, Langton Mill, Scotstown, Pouterlynie, Upper Wellrig, Hardens, Stobswood, Blacksmill, Blackrig, Langton Lees, Raecleughead, Langton Mains.
1851 census: Langton, Woodend, Choicelee, Langton Lees, Blackrig, Blacksmill, Stobswood, Raecleughhead, Hardens, Upper Wellrig, Langton Mains, Haininrig, Scotstown, Pouterlynie, Whitehill, Craes, Middlefield, Girtrig, Lady Flat, Gavinton.
1861 census: Langton, Gavinton, Woodend, Choicelea, Langton Lees, Blackrig, Stobswood, Raecleughhead, Hardens, Wellrig, Haininrig, Scotstown, Pouterlynie, Whitehill, Middlefield, Craes, Gitrig, Lady Flat.

Regards

Malky

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 16 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Malky, Kay and ev for your replies and help, I have just checked the map reference you gave and there is a glimmer of light, I see that it is close to Dunse which is a place that keeps coming up so this looks good.

You are right ev, Sibbella was the daughter of Esther Cummings b.1786 in Dunse and Mathew Waite b.1787 in Wittinghame Northumberland. Her father Mathew seems to have died by the 1841 census.

Sibbella was born in 1819 in Duns, her sister Sarah was born in 1815 in Branton Northumberland, her brother Mathew was born in 1823 in Duns (he emigrated) and her other brother called William was born in 1821 in Duns. I keep finding little bits of information about the family but it is hard going. Sibbella married James Hepburn and after that I have lots of information.

I really appreciate your help
Alison

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 January 16 13:07 GMT (UK) »
It looks to be a pronunciation thing. If one looks at the 1843 - 1882 map Crease is showing. In the 1888 - 1913 map, it's gone.
1841 census lists it a Old Craes. 1851 census onwards, it's just Craes.

The 1645 - 1831 land tax roll for Berwickshire shows :-

Old Craes, East part by William Lawson, £0.16.0, £50.0.0
Middlefield or New Craes, by Thomas Penny, £3.8.9, £214.16.10 6/12

Regards

Malky

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 January 16 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again, I will look into these two names as well and see if I can find any connections.
Alison