Author Topic: JOHN GREY/GRAY DEATH in NEATH  (Read 1275 times)

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOHN GREY/GRAY DEATH in NEATH
« on: Sunday 31 January 16 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I have narrowed down records of the death of John Grey/Gray, registered in the June quarter of 1848 in Neath/Glamorgan and possibly buried in St Thomas Neath.  I'm led to the National Burial Index/Genes Reunited, don't really want to register with them.  I do have the National Burial CD but my current computer won't open those files.
John was born in Cornwall his age at death c. 25.    Any chance of someone finding out a bit more for me please.   I'd love the cause of death but know the only way to find this out is to get the D/C???
Regards
Gray, Madigan, Purdy, Churchwood.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN GREY/GRAY DEATH in NEATH
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 16 22:21 GMT (UK) »
i think this newspaper article may tell you the cause - a mine explosion in which he, his brother and brother in law were among the dead

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4346579/4346582/16/

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 16 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very much that was a quick reply, I was heading out and still haven't had time to read the whole article.  I knew there had to be something happening elsewhere other than Cornwall.  Had a few tears actually thinking of their young lives gone.  I can't say how much I appreciate all the help from Rootschatters this last 12 months or even more, so thank you again.
Maxine

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 February 16 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I've been able to read the article on the explosion and then followed it up with the enquiry, all very interesting reading and I know who the brother in law is and his family,so thank you for putting me on the right right direction.
I thought there might be a report of a funeral but couldn't find it in that paper as it is a weekly issue, might there be another paper worth looking at.  From Fam Search it gives address for the 3 men as Mile End Row L Wit, would you be able to explain please where that might have been.

There was another brother Thomas in Neath also who had 2 boys whilst there another Thomas(1849)  and William (1850), they returned to Cornwall before the 1851 census.
Cheers
Maxine

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 February 16 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Nothing on the funeral but detailed reports of the inquest - sad to say John Grey's lamp gets mentioned in the second report as a possible source of the spark

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4346584/4346588/26/

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4346589/4346592/19/

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 February 16 04:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your time, yes I saw that bit about the lamp!  I'll keep on hunting around to see if I can find where they may have been buried.  With your help I have at least found their deaths.
Regards
Maxine

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 February 16 05:17 GMT (UK) »
One last request please.
I've been hunting around and found an entry to an article in the Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian Glamorgan Monmouth, 8 April 1848, NEWS, page 3.  but I can't open it, I get a PHP error message and have no idea what that means.

Could you have a try for me please or I will contact National Library and have them look it up for me if possible.
Regards

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 February 16 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I just found it I removed some of the words and numbers from the URL address and have gone in an found the article. Boy you have to think hard!!! Basically the same.
Maxine

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 February 16 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Me again
It appears the three men, John and William Grey and William Wolsey (Wasley) were buried at St Thomas Anglican, Neath on 30 March 1848.

Are these burial records available anywhere - just to see the entries.  Have seen extracts but would be keen to see the actual burial entry????  I've been trying a lot of spots.
Cheers