Author Topic: Herbahn family immigration to Newcastle  (Read 583 times)

Offline Verna Mac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Herbahn family immigration to Newcastle
« on: Tuesday 02 February 16 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the shipping record for Henriette HERBAHN (or HERBOHN) aged approx 29 and her children Gustave, Hermina, John, Augusta and Amelia. Who have arrived in Newcastle in late September 1881 having sailed from New Zealand.

The family is German but emigrated to New Zealand in 1875.

The family story goes that they arrived in Newcastle and came by coach to Sydney. They show up in Benevolent Society records arriving on 27/9/1881 and being taken out by Henrietta's husband the next day. So the ship would have arrived in Newcastle maybe on the 26th September?

Thank you heaps for your help
V
COX - Kent, Woolwich
BUSBY - Woolwich
LOXLEY - Kent, Woolwich

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Herbahn family immigration to Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 01:41 GMT (UK) »
I don't think the passenger lists into Newcastle have been indexed - only Sydney.

Have you looked on Trove to see which ships travelled NZ to Newcastle at that time?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper?q

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 01:48 GMT (UK) »
No bridge across the Hawkesbury River, so if by coach then it was the 'long way' out to Maitland, Cessnock, down Bucketty, St Albans, across Wiseman's Ferry, to Windsor and into Sydney that way, or similar coming into North Richmond and on to Sydney.  Many came from Newcastle by coastal trader 'steamer' etc...  Perhaps best to allow more than one day for travel from Newcastle to Sydney .... perhaps two weeks (time to organise, pay, and to actually travel, over night stops etc, horse driven coaches, across the Mountains and along the ridges)

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/about/environment/protecting-heritage/documents/self_guided_tours/hawkesbury_river_hornsby-gosford.pdf

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 01:54 GMT (UK) »
G.M. Tucker from Wellington on the 26th.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/136052044

MOST persons who have paid attention to our shipping reports must have noticed the large number of passenger that arrive by almost every vessel from New Zealand. Not only do they come by steamers, but by sailing vessels also as opportunity offers. For instance, by the barque G. M. Tucker, which arrived at Newcastle yesterday from New Zealand, there were forty passengers, all of whom have no doubt been induced, by the prospects which New South Wales offers as a home, to become permanent settlers here.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13495705

Nothing prior to that for awhile but seeing JM's post let's look a little earlier  ;D

Debra  :)

Offline Verna Mac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 02:06 GMT (UK) »
The info that Gus gave on his Naturalisation request was that they came on a 3 masted sailing ship, landed in Newcastle and proceeded to Sydney the same night... doesn't say how, so it could have been by another vessel.

All of this gives me other avenues, thanks heaps.
COX - Kent, Woolwich
BUSBY - Woolwich
LOXLEY - Kent, Woolwich

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 03:41 GMT (UK) »
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=1614618  naturalisation papers digitised.   On one page it has 1884 as the year of arrival for Gus.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Verna Mac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info on the Naturalisation. The family is in the Benevolent Society on 27th September 1881, that is why I am assuming that they arrived around that time.

Regards
COX - Kent, Woolwich
BUSBY - Woolwich
LOXLEY - Kent, Woolwich

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 04:32 GMT (UK) »
The info that Gus gave on his Naturalisation request was that they came on a 3 masted sailing ship, landed in Newcastle and proceeded to Sydney the same night... doesn't say how, so it could have been by another vessel.

All of this gives me other avenues, thanks heaps.

I have not been able to find where that request is noted on the digitised records.  Do you have additional papers perhaps ?  There is another set listed at the National Archives website, with barcode 450852   these are not digitised, access is open and they are at the Sydney offices of the NAA.   (not at NSW Records Office) .   

Cheers, JM