Author Topic: Williams - Buckley  (Read 4400 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Williams - Buckley
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 November 16 20:51 GMT (UK) »
For finding the siblings of each Thomas. So you have a full picture of all John and Ruths children and all John and Mary's, in the hope that one of them at some stage will have something that links them to your Thomas, or to rule out any link to your Thomas.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I haven't been as thorough as I thought I'd been. I'll start again!  :)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 December 16 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Lizdbs suggestion of widening your search to other possible family members is an excellent one.  Sometimes a sibling or other relative can be the key... perhaps listed with grandparents or aunts/uncles on a census etc. 

Have you tried using the free GRO birth record search to establish the maiden names of both Ruth and Mary?  You could look for all of the Thomas Williams births recorded between 1837 and 1841 on the index.... check Holywell and perhaps Great Boughton.  You can look for the other siblings from each of the possible families you are considering.  Hopefully, you can find the mothers maiden names for each family.   Checking baptisms is also a good idea. 

RK

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 December 16 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks RK. I've set up two trees and I'm trying to find as much as I can on both families. I  found the likely Thomas's within the age range on North Wales BMD but there were quite a few. This is how I managed to narrow it down to two possible mothers. Unfortunately, I haven't found any baptisms yet. Actually, I haven't found anything new for a year. I am grateful for  the suggestions you've all given me and I'll just keep trying.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 December 16 21:21 GMT (UK) »
What is Thomas' address on his marriage certificate?
While both candidate families are in Buckley Square in 1841,in the 1851 census,John and Mary are still in Buckley Square,Argoed,but John and Ruth are listed under Buckley Road,Bistre.

Regards
Roger

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 December 16 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this, Roger.

The address on Thoas's marriage certificate (in 1860) is Argoed. I don't know where the division of Argoed and Bistre would have been but I think the addresses would have been very close. I hadn't considered it. I'll try and find a map. :)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 December 16 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you checked newspapers?  Perhaps there is an account of the marriage of your Thomas ... listing relatives and guests?  How about funeral notices for your Thomas or the possible Johns?   

Do you know where your Thomas is buried?  Who is buried with him... or nearby in the same cemetery? 

Did anyone leave a Will? 

RK

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 December 16 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions RK. I really do appreciate your thoughts.

I haven't turned anything up so far. No birth certificates (not sure which one to send for and if I had one, I wouldn't know if it was my Thomas). No baptisms that fit. Nothing in newspapers. Not sure when he died but think it may be either 1901 and 1911. Wife, Ann also seems to have disappeared (died?) after 1901. I have searched (physically) all the graveyards in Buckley but can't  find him.

I haven't been able to find any records on any of Thomas's possible siblings.

I can't find another marriage for the Thomas that isn't mine. I am well and truly muddled. :(

I will surely find something EVENTUALLY! :)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 December 16 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I hope I can help on the geography. Buckley didn't officially exist until 1897 when the parish of Buckley (Mold) was carved out of Mold Rural parish. However, there was also the parish of Buckley (Hawarden) which was created out of Hawarden parish then in Chester district. The whole of Buckley was donated to that district in 1902, but the Flintshire parishes were used to create Hawarden reg district the next year.

From old maps it seems that the boundary between the two Buckley parishes (and hence between Mold and Hawarden earlier) ran a little north of Mold Road in the west and then crossed the future A549 to run somewhat south of Chester Road in the east.

Buckley Square I remember from its post office which was to the west near Stanley Road and the pub (Hope and Anchor?) and west of Bistre Church, but it's possible that some of the Buckley Square area came under Hawarden. The boundary with Argoed must have been unofficial in those days but nowadays is the top of Pren Hill a little further west again.

There is a modern ward of Argoed consisting of Mynydd Isa, Bryn-y-Baal and New Brighton but that may not correspond to the original Argoed. The area was then much more rural. The nearest colliery would be in Buckley itself, I think - there was one at the Elm, though another at the Laurel in Sychtyn and others at Padeswood and Mold.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)