Author Topic: Searching Patrick Brien in Ballyboy churchyard records,Kilcormac.  (Read 1602 times)

Offline markova21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching Patrick Brien in Ballyboy churchyard records,Kilcormac.
« on: Tuesday 02 February 16 15:56 GMT (UK) »
My paternal grandfather Michael O`Brien was born in Money in Kilcormac ,Kings County in 1868. [Now spelled Munny]. His parents were Patrick Brien and Anne [maiden name Dunne.] Patrick died in Money in 1879 and Anne died in 1931. A local historian,Agnes Gorman, took me to see the small churchyard where she believes they will both be buried. We looked for over an hour,but not surprisingly,there is no head stone. I doubt very much they were the type of people who could have afforded it. Does anyone know the name of the parish priest,and the contact details ? My great grandparents are almost certainly buried in that churchyard somewhere. The parish priest would have the records that show exactly where they are buried. Thanks.
O`Brien and  Dunne.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching Patrick Brien in Ballyboy churchyard records,Kilcormac.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with contact details but not Catholic churches didn't keep burial records so it may be difficult to find family details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 18:35 GMT (UK) »
http://www.dioceseofmeath.ie/parishes

Contact details on this link
scroll down alphabetical list of parishes
 but as Aghadowey states in previous post, there may be no records of burials.

Offline markova21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.But I know for a fact that parish priests DO have the record books of Baptisms,Marriages and Burials in their possession. The woman who was helping me locally is always in contact with the parish priest asking to look through his records,for other families she has researched for other people. She has already mentioned to the Priest that there is a woman who she is helping trace her ancestors,and could she look through the records sometimes. He said he would get back to her.That was 6 months ago. I did at the time suggest I contact him myself to ask him,but she said that would be bad etiquette,or words to that effect. He holds the record to the exact location in the churchyard that my grandparents are buried in. So I was looking for his name and contact details to contact him myself,to allow MY contact woman to look through them.
O`Brien and  Dunne.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Both of us have said that MOST Catholic churches do not have burial records  but it may be that there are some for that particular church although there could easily be gaps in the records.

I can't see any reason at all why you would be advised not to make contact directly but you might want to edit your post as even priest see things online and google is great at finding posts from Rootschat.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!